Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Let me permanently disable Smart Shuffle

Let me permanently disable Smart Shuffle

Plan: Premium

Device: Pixel 3xl

I do not want to use Smart Shuffle, at all, ever. For the past few months it has been screwing up my Liked Songs and it is extremely annoying. When I turn off shuffle because I am in a block of songs I want to listen to, the next song it plays will ALWAYS be a specific song instead of the next song in the list. This specific song changes whenever I add more songs to my liked songs.

114 Replies

Hi @Toprem,

Thanks for posting in the Spotify Community, and welcome!

Although at the moment there isn't a way to permanently disable Smart Shuffle, there's currently a Live Idea for having a Smart Shuffle toggle in the Settings menu, which would allow you to disable this feature.

If it's something that you’re interested in, I would recommend adding your +VOTE to the idea. The more votes an idea gets, the likelier it is that Spotify will implement it, and you can read more about how feedback on ideas reaches Spotify here.

You can also Subscribe to the idea by clicking the three dots next to its title; that way, you can be sure to be informed of any relevant updates.

Let me know if you have any other questions, and have a good day!

AdamDamonSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I'm with you on that. Put it in the menu. Sometimes I just want to shuffle my curated playlists without anything added. 

I agree. Spotify is the worse app ever. They spend millions and millions on artist and context but refuse to put any money in the app. 

Does Spotify get paid to add other artists in to my music lists? because I find it interesting and also irritating that services that I pay for always want to HELP ME find music they think I will like, but I don't want the help at all. I just want to find my own music on the service and create my own lists and share them, why is that so hard and much to ask for. Instead there is a constant need for these services to help me by inserting music I don't want in Playlists I spend time creating. 

I feel like this feature is probably one of the most poorly implemented features in recent additions. When I'm in a playlist, I want to listen to that playlist. I don't want to hear songs that aren't in my list. The fact that they put the feature in an existing button that everyone has been conditioned on its use for the last 20 years is poor UX planning.
There are times I do want to discover new music, but it is not when I click shuffle.

Anybody figured out how to permanently turn it off? Its so annoying. Even when I disable it, it switch back on and its sooooo frustrating especially if I am unable to action it immediately because im busy... i made my playlist for a reason so I dont know why you try to change it.

@adamdam What are you here for if your not an employee? This is a useless response.

Smart suffle is the last straw for me. I am going to competitor since Spotify just keeps making features nobody wants and when there is a backlash, they just ignore the community. I've had enough with Spotify.

You say that but look at how much they paid Snoop after a BILLION PLAYS.

Yep totally agree. This feature should NOT be the default option and there should be an option to permanently disable it. 
They are OUR personally created playlists not an algorithms. 
By all means play recommendations AFTER the playlist has played all songs. 
Rather than add this annoying feature put the effort into switching accounts within the app instead!

Cannot express how much I hate this invasive, poorly designed feature. Worth leaving Spotify over.

Bring back the god damn shuffle button, I left Apple Music because they literally lost thousands of my saved songs… and playlists I had spent years making, and reorganizing… but this no shuffle playlist thing… it’s enough to make me go back. Like no seriously. I once had a car, that if you had your phone connected to it, everytime you started the car it would play you’re entire library of music in alphabetical order automatically. Yeah this was supposed to be a “smart feature” needles (it should be needless) to say it was very annoying feature. I got sick and tired of the A team by ed, it’s now one of my most hated songs, just because of dumb software. Listen at the very least… wouldn’t it also make sense to get rid of the giant play button at the top of playlists too? Like if your solution is to choose a song and then shuffle, anyone who wanted to start their playlists at the beginning can just tap the first song… right there! All I’m saying is ARE YOU GUYS TRYING TO SHOOT YOURSELVES IN THE FOOT?!? Like seriously I get the business model I understand, you gotta keep innovating, as such I’ve never complained before… but this is just ridiculous! What possible benefit did removing the shuffle button do? Anyways… until it’s fixed… I will be headed back to Apple Music, they might loose my songs… but at least I can god damn shuffle without being forced to listen to the same song everytime first!

This stupid smart shuffle feature makes me want to leave Spotify! Why can't they put a permanent button to disable Smart shuffle and listens to their users? Is it hard to program a button for the next update? Or is it easier to loose a customer? Whoever invented this feature obviously didn't thought this through. 

100% agree ..... having a feature to discover new music I might like is really great but don't change carefully curated playlists to offer that feature .... put it in the menu.

I'm paying premium for Spotify - just so I decide what to listen to.
If I want random $h*t in my playlist I might as well stop playing for this.

Within the last few days, all my playlists have smart shuffle turned on and I did not do this myself. It's very annoying. I didn't notice until I was driving down the road and the playlist I selected is not what was playing. I have been paying for premium for years and this has me thinking I need to find a different app and drop Spotify. Spotify has no business messing with my settings for me. I could understand if they did this to the free version to push different artists but not the premium users. We are paying for an ad free streaming service where we can control what we want to listen to - not someone else's agenda.

Please make 'Smart Shuffle' optional. I don't want to use it.

Seriously. Shuffling my liked songs and playlists is the main way I use Spotify. It's disappointing that Spotify removed a basic bit of functionality while spinning it as a new feature. Also, since I can't easily duplicate or copy my liked songs that's years of music I no longer have the same access to without the algorithm getting involved. 

Thanks. I hate it.

Suggested posts