Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Lockscreen controls don't work on Android 5.0

Lockscreen controls don't work on Android 5.0

Ever since I upgraded to 5.0 lollipop I can't change songs from the lockscreen. The only alternative is turning on the notifications during lockscreen option. The problem is that this shows all my notications and the controls are considerably smaller than the old ones. Is anyone else experiencing this?
18 Replies

Odd. Thanks for the info, hopefully the M8 will get lollipop soon so that I can start investigating any issues.

I'll remember this and if we get some more reports then I'll raise a bug.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Same here. I already notified @SpotifyCares on Twitter and they passed it in to the devs. Spotify can mark its notification as public or something similar which should show the music controls all the time.

And here.

Also, why is there a good two second delay between the Spotify app minimising and the music controls appearing in the quick settings? Other music apps don't have this issue.

Yes. Please review the lock screen.

It should be as easy as setting the visibility of the app to public, I guess.

Controls on the lock screen are super important!

Thanks!

Same here. And please, bring the backward control option as well - having only a forward button is so 2005.

It's worth mentioning that Google removed lockscreen widgets in Android 5.0. This means the old music player controls are no longer possible on the stock lockscreen, which sucks. I'm pretty much constantly closing or pausing Spotify when I try to skip tracks without looking at the screen. It's terrible.

Why would they get rid of that? There is nothing better about the new lockscreen it shouldn't of been changed in my opinion.

Took me a little bit, to understand what your problem is, so I thought I'll provide a screenshot for the Spotify team as clarification:

Under Android 5 there are no more lock screen widgets, so music has to be controlled via the Spotify notification. There are 3 options:

- No lockscreens notifcations: Not possible to control Spotify from your lockscreen

- Hide sensitive content: Not possible to control Spotify from your lockscreen. It looks like this:

Screenshot_2014-11-25-16-08-44.png

- Show all notifications: Possible to control from lockscreen

Screenshot_2014-11-25-16-04-04.png

The options Xaniel linked to don't help, because you can only mark apps as sensitve when you have the "Show all notifications" option enabled and it doesn't work the other way around.

To fix this Spotify has to set the notiications of their app to public. 

Is this going somewhere? I really miss the option to control the app from a locked screen

The new 1.8.0 version is supposed to have Lollipo fixes, maybe they already fixed this? I haven't gotten the update yet.

any news regarding this issue. i am fine with android 5.0 but the lockscreen thing is very annoying.

Problem still exist after yesterday's update. I use spotify while running or driving and now it's impossible to go backwards (you have to expand notifications...) and changing songs is almost a 50-50 chance that you will press the 'X' on the right side.
So, unless you have both your hands completely free and both eyes fully set on your mobile, managing the app is not easy any more.
I stopped my premium account today, I'll try a different app to see how they deal with lockscreen and wait until Spotify decides to deal with it...

Someone from Spotify to give a solution please?

It isn't just a problem with Spotify as far as i'm aware no app's lockscreen controls are allowed. They only support notifications at the moment which is quite frustrating.

Well, I just tried google music and Napster, and they both have better notification on Lockscreen.

Google music: bigger action buttons and it doesn't have this 'x' button that closes the app as in Spotify

Napster: They have a backwards button along with a play/pause and forward button.

So, if it is Lollipop's issue that it only allows notifications on Lockscreen, then Spotify should have worked on developing a notification which is optimum for android 5, since it seems that there customation possibilities in the notifications. The notification they have, is the same that they had in Kitkat - no extra effort for lollipop.

Personally, I'm very dissapointed. I'll check the 30 days trial in Play and Napster and will keep one of them I think.

Just closing the loop on this issue. Looks like they did make the notification public so you can set the notifications to hide sensitive content only and now the Spotify media controls show. in Android 5.0 it is set to hide all notifications by default.

I think the opinion regarding the "X" on he widget is mixed because someone might want the ability to close the app quickly if they are finished listening and you can do that quickly without having to unlock your phone.

The problem with that is you also might inadvertently close the app and have to unlock your phone and relaunch. Its a double edged sword.

What would be nice is if they could send a prompt notification asking if you would like to close the app, instead of just closing the app and then also provide the standard "Show prompt" check mark if you would like it to default to showing the prompt before you close or if you would like to hide it.

You can actually do it but you need to "pull" downward on the little control widget that shows when the screen is locked and it'll show the backward button and the "X" button as well.

If it is a Samsung galaxy go to setting>Notifications>Advanced(top right)>Spotify>Disable "Hide on lock screen" It will pop back up on your lock screen 

Took me a while to do this too but luckily i found it 

Suggested posts