Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Not able to remove downloads

Not able to remove downloads

I want to free up space on my phone by deleting music that i've downloaded. 

When I go to offline mode so i can see which music is downloaded and try to remove it the only way i can do it is to remove from my library altogether. I only want to remove the download and leave the song in my online library for streeming. 

Strangly it also looks like its giving me the option to check the download button on already downloaded songs. I don't understand because in offline mode it must already be downloaded as i'm able to play it with no internet connection.

I've attached an example of a track i want to remove from my phone storage. I can play this track without any data connection so it must be downloaded right...?

Screenshot_20170824-091243.png
6 Replies

Spotify caches music as you listen to it so, as long as a song is still in this cache, you will be able to listen to it offline even though you haven't downloaded it.

Undownloading music on android doesn't release storage space I'm afraid so you need to turn off the "download" switch on your offline playlists then reinstall spotify if you need the storage space.

You can quickly find your downloaded music by using the filter from the relevant screen.

Settings > Storage. Cannot access or select data downloaded on my phone from here , even though this data is nicely summarized in a bar graph?  My New Nokia phone says "storage space running out, some system functions will not work", aka emergency calls?

I want to delete just the downloaded song data, but after 2 minutes of not being able to find it prefer to delete the entire app and move to a competitor. 

Angle I see available is via the Phone's settings > Storage Space > Music & Audio > Spotify > Clear Storage: From here, the only option available is "Delete App Data" "All this apps data will be deleted permanently. This includes all files, settings, accounts, databases. etc." 

So be it, I guess.  

Hi there @Kent11,

If you want to free up space from Spotify downloads on your phone you'd need to do the following:

In online mode, go to every playlist/album which you have downloaded and switch the Download option off (gray) on the ones that you don't want to keep downloaded. 

After this open this Spotify Answer and perform a clean reinstall of the app on your device. Follow the steps from the guide exactly. By doing this only your downloaded offline music will be deleted. All you playlists, songs and other content and settings on your account will remain exactly the same, as they are stored on our servers and not directly on your device 🙂

Hope you find this info useful. Don't hesitate to give us a shout if you need more help.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thank You Alex.

Went for My Nokia's Device's ^ recommended approach to free up data last night, in a pinch. aka I hit delete - Granted my downloaded files are no longer available, on this particular device, from what I can see.  Now From here, As a Spotify customer: Your mileage may vary:  for me, at this point,  everything is available in the Spotify app completely unscathed, and my device's data is free. Excellent. I will review Kodak Black "Hatin on Me" Perhaps 2Pac "Picture me Rollin". Yes, in addition to Shostakovich "Fifth Symphony". The last one is better live, in a symphony environment, the former if the artist happens to be around. Accepted as Solution via Mr.Alex. Thank You Spotify for the excellent support. 

Hey @Kent11,

Thanks for keeping us posted 🙂

Glad to hear it worked out and everything is running smoothly again. 

If you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us. We'll be happy to help.

Stay safe!

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts