Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

[Other] Manual Pause Should Always Mean Manual Resume

Solved!

[Other] Manual Pause Should Always Mean Manual Resume

EDIT, a few days later:  I now see that the unwanted auto-resume behavior is *not* specific to Spotify after all.  It also happens while I'm using other media apps such as YouTube, but only when I use a specific pair of wired logi headphones while their in-line "mute" function is activated.  This might explain why there haven't been any replies or votes for this post.  In fact if I could, I would probably delete it from here and maybe re-post it to some more appropriate forum such as Logitech or Android.

_____

If a user has manually paused playback by tapping a pause button, the playback should not start again until the user taps the play button.  This should be regardless of platform, connected devices, type of content or any other criteria. 

For example, with my wired headphones plugged into an android device, I'm listening to a podcast.  But I need to talk to someone, so I tap pause.

• Expected:  The playback should remain paused until I hit play.
  • Actual:  The playback starts playing again after some time - sometimes a few seconds, sometimes a few minutes.
  • Apparent work-around:  Unplug the headphones.  I waited a half hour to be sure.

I understand that people want it to auto-resume after auto-pause; that's fine.  But if a user has explicitly expressed the intention to pause by tapping the pause button, their intent should not be overridden by anything else, whether headphones are attached or what.

I thought at first this was a bug, but after searching through issues and forums, I now believe that unwanted auto-resume is a simple lack-of-accommodation, or bad-feature. 

Therefore I don't really think these particular facts are going to matter, because I think it's a matter of more general logic-design, but I'll throw them in just in case:

• Spotify version 8.6.32.925 (same after reinstall)
  • Android 11 on a Pixel 5

Other things I tried, that didn't make any difference

• cleared cache & storage
  • force stopped
  • uninstalled & reinstalled
  • disabled spotify connect

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there @rdalkire,

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community 🙂 Apologies for the delayed response, we just came across this thread. 

We're glad to hear that you were able to sort this out. This issue is most likely related to your specific setup as it happens with other apps as well. 

We appreciate you taking the time to share your insights with us and will make sure to pass your comments to the teams in charge. 

If anything else comes up, the Community will be here. 

Take care!

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Is no one else annoyed by the auto-resume after manual pause behavior?  Please vote!

Marked as solution

Hey there @rdalkire,

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community 🙂 Apologies for the delayed response, we just came across this thread. 

We're glad to hear that you were able to sort this out. This issue is most likely related to your specific setup as it happens with other apps as well. 

We appreciate you taking the time to share your insights with us and will make sure to pass your comments to the teams in charge. 

If anything else comes up, the Community will be here. 

Take care!

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts