Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

SD Card Storage

SD Card Storage

When I set my micro SD card as internal storage, the Spotify app does not identifies it. Therefore, I can no longer store my songs in it. It would be great if an update would be released with this new feature.
8 Replies

Got an HTC 10, bought fancy SD storage card, upgraded to Spotify Premium, and spent a day cursing cos I couldn't "see" any storage option, and no matter what I did, anything I downloaded went straight on to the internal 32GB storage. Tried reinstalling, clearing cache, everything suggested.

Not sure if this helps anyone, but I did the following (along with clearing cache, etc.) and it seems to work! Even though the app still doesn't give me a 'storage' option, nor can I choose to 'change' the storage from internal via the Settings >> Apps route, I can definitely see that anything I download is now going on to the SD card! Success.

So, I uninstalled Spotify. Ejected the SD card (safely). Reinstalled Spotify, and then reinserted SD card. Logged in to Spotify. I then came out of Spotify and went to... 

Settings >> Apps >> Spotify 

I then selected 'Permissons' and switched on the Phone, Contacts and (importantly!) STORAGE bars on the right. 

Hey-presto... now whenever I download anything it goes straight to the SD card (and you can check via the Andriod Settings >> Storage and 'see' the SD card filling up.

Hope this helps everyone. Not a techie, as you might be able to tell... 😉

Hey @pjm24 thanks for posting. Does android settings>storage show the SD card as portable or internal storage?

Hi there. Internal storage. I think I had to format it as internal storage? Maybe I shouldn't have... ?!

I thought as much - maybe you should make this clear in your "solution"? You'll find more on the internal storage option in this post but, basically, I think it's best avoided unless you have a cheap or old phone with very little internal storage.

Hi Joe. Apologies if I wasn't helpful. Pure ignorance on my part.

At some point in installing the card there was a window saying that I needed to install the card as an internal drive. Should I not have done this? Should I start over? Would be grateful for your advice (or perhaps point me to the correct thread).

All the best,

Pete

Joe--Read the link. Very useful. Much appreciated. P

Hey, don't get me wrong - your post is helpful for those who are using adoptable storage. I just think that you should mention that is what you are using in your post to avoid confusion 🙂

In the android world in general, there was great initial excitement at the introduction of adoptable storage but the general feeling now seems to be not to use it unless you really need it. The two main reasons are that SD cards are many times slower than device storage and adopting an SD card effectively "welds" it to the device.

But we all have our own way of getting the best out of our android devices so whatever works for you is great.

Internal

Suggested posts