Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Song restarting midway on repeat one

Song restarting midway on repeat one

1. Plan

Premium 

Country

Canada

Device

Galaxy Z Fold 5, Galaxy Tab S8+, Windows PC

Operating System

(Android 14 OneUI 6.1, Windows 11 N)

My Question or Issue

It seems that a recent and previously "Fixed" bug has come back. When setting songs to repeat one, songs tend to restart midway instead of from the beginning. This especially happens if I come back to the spotify app after a few hours (say I came back from work and want to listen to the song I was listening to before).

The funny thing is, this only happens for the first 1-2 repeats after coming back to spotify after a few hours, then is very occasional. Happens on almost all platforms (I can't test apple devices).

Another peculiar observation, which might be nothing but a coincidence, is that the midway restart point of the song is not random. It almost feels like the Automix feature is on (it is NOT). The songs almost always start from their main stanza (or otherwise known as the main part or hook in some cases), and the crossfade between the end of the song and the transition back to the main hook SEEMS very intentional to me, as if somehow the Automix feature is interfering even though it is off.

29 Replies

Hey @skbtwiz,

Thanks for posting in the Community and welcome.

We'd recommend you perform a clean reinstall of the Spotify app on your devices. By doing that, the app can be up-to-date and you can make sure the cache is not leading to this inconvenience. You can see the steps for a clean reinstall here

If after doing that this continues to happen, we'd like to gather some additional info:

• Would you mind sending us the exact Spotify version you're running on the affected devices? 
  • Did you notice if this started to happen after a specific event, such as an OS update?
  • Were you using Connect when you first noticed this behavior?

It'd be awesome if you could send further info, so we can continue investigating.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Plan

Premium

Country

Hong Kong 

Device

Redmi K50 

Operating System

Xiaomi HyperOS 

My Question or Issue

Apparently, if you leave the app mid-song with loop enabled and re-enter it, the song restarts from where you leave the app.

I would like to report a bug in the Spotify player (tested on the web player and iOS). When I put a song on repeat and close the web player in the middle of the song, upon resuming playback from where it stopped previously, the new playback starts from where it was stopped before (before closing the player).

Example: Playback of the song "Ego Brain" (System of a Down) on repeat Song listened to until 1'57" Player Closed Player restarted Resumed playback of the song from 1'57" When the song ends, since it's on repeat, it restarts playback from 1'57".

Hey @Nedtam,

Thanks for reaching out!
We tried reproducing this issue but it seems to be locally present on your device.
Try clearing your app's cached data to see if that would change the current behavior.
If you wish to take things a step further, you can also go for a complete clean reinstall of the app.

Hope this helps! Keep us posted 🙂

VasilModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hello, I also encountered this issue.

Spotify version:

Plan
Premium
Country
Vietnam

Device
Xiaomi 11T Pro
ROG Phone 6
Operating System
Android 13 and MIUI 14
Android 14

My issue:

I played a song in repeat only one song mode and closed the app (closed completely) in the middle. I went back and continued to played that song. When the song ended, it started from where I left before ONE TIME. After that, it started normally from the start. This happens every time I opened the app again and continue to play.

This happened on my two devices, so I don't think it's a local issue.
Please refer to my video in the attachment.

FYI: 

- I tried two solutions on the previous comment and it didn't work.

- I used the same account for both devices (I don't know if this relevant but I think the more info the better).

Reproduce steps:
1. Play a song and left the app in the middle of the song (you can pause or straightout close the app).
2. Open the app again.
3. Turn on the mode repeat only this song (The issue only happened when this mode is on, just make sure THIS TURN ON).
4. Continue to play the song.

The full video can't be attached because it's 30 seconds, so here my full reproduction video link (Google Drive). I can say it is safe to click but if you think the steps are enough, you don't have to.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tSLK9J6DL1QlWqN-lEvqLMnR29J2Lzkd/view?usp=drive_link

Hey folks, 

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. 

We've passed this info on to the right team to be looked into. We'll let you know as soon as we have any updates about this. 

Cheers 🙂 

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

Android: Pixel 8 Pro

PC: Custom Built PC

Operating System

Android 14 (current build number AP1A.240505.005). Spotify Version: 8.9.44.368

Windows 11: Spotify Version: 1.2.38.720.ga4a70a0e  (yes, this reproduces on Windows too)

My Question or Issue

According to this, this issue was fixed last year, however, it's still randomly reproducing every day. It's been doing this the past couple of weeks now (mid May or so).

The issue seems exactly the same; when selecting a new song and turning on Repeat One, there's a random chance it'll start at a random part of the current song on first repeat. Sometimes it's very close to the beginning, sometimes the middle, sometimes a few seconds before the end. Once the issue occurs for a particular song, it'll correctly Repeat One indefinitely until I switch to a new song; upon turning Repeat One back on, there's a random chance the issue will occur again. This random chance is probably around 20% or so.

This reproduces on computers and my phone, it's not limited to one type of device.

I generally listen to one song at a time on repeat so this is incredibly frustrating; please look into why the original fix has recently regressed.

Plan

Premium

Country

Estonia

Device

iPhone 15 Pro

Operating System

iOS 17.4.1

Spotify version

My Question or Issue

How to reproduce the problem:

1. Put one song on repeat
  2. Start listen to it
  3. Stop it
  4. Close Spotify
  5. Open Spotify again
  6. Play the song
  7. Wait until it ended

Result: song start play again not from start but from place where it was started after opening Spotify.

I can confirm that the same problem can be reproduced on a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra, using the latest version of Spotify (dated 28/5/2024) on Google Play.

Hi @nko12,

Thanks for the feedback.

Does this happen only when you switch the playback to a different Spotify Connect device (from your phone to PC, for example), or also when you're listening locally on the same device? A short screen recording which captures the described behavior in action would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers 🤘

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

It happens for both Spotify Connect over multiple devices or with a single local device.

A screen recording is not feasible as the issue is random; there is no way for me to know or predict when it will happen. Earlier, I tried selecting multiple songs, turning on Repeat One, and manually jumping to the last 3 seconds to see if I can reproduce it the problem, but couldn't. Yet, while I was driving a little later, the issue reproduced itself.

Hey @taichingkan & @katerinkayakusheva,

Thanks for letting us know!
@taichingkan, could you send us your exact Spotify app version alongside your Android OS version?
We'll send the info backstage asap and we'll keep you posted 🙂
Many thanks!

VasilModerator

Thanks for the info @nko12! I can't seem to reproduce this on my end. You mentioned it occurred while driving: how do you connect to your vehicle? Is it via Bluetooth? Are you using Bluetooth at home as well?

In the meantime, new versions of Spotify should be out now (8.9.46 for Android and 1.2.39 for desktop), so feel free to try them to see if the issue persists.

Keep me posted!

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Hi Vasil,

My Spotify app version (as listed in the "Apps" section in my Android phone's settings) is 8.9.46.426, and the Android OS version is 14.

Thanks!

Plan

Premium

Country

United Kingdom

Device

Oneplus 11R

Operating System

Android 14

My Question or Issue

I saw a similar thread around this issue and that seemed to have been fixed (as per the status)

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Repeat-One-restarting-midsong/idi-p/5656597

I can still recreate this issue by following the below steps:

1. Set the mode to "Repeat One" song.

2. Play a song (ex: a 5 min song) upto 3 mins.

3. Kill the Spotify app from recent apps.

4. Play the song from where you left (3:00 mins)

5. Once the song completes, it restarts again from 3:00 mins.

Possible root cause: The last played timestamp is being cached in app's memory and once you replay the song after killing the app, "Repeat" function picks up the cached value (3:00 mins in this case)

@Yordan I can confirm that there does seem to be a pattern; if Spotify (on any platform) isn't used for a while and you basically just start playing an in-progress song (not selecting a new song to start), the issue reproduces. @Sagar_Chandani's root cause hypothesis is likely what's happening.

When I used my car example, my phone usually autoplays on Android Auto so wherever Spotify left off on the current song it continues to the end and then the bug occurs, restarting not at the beginning. For me personally, it doesn't seem to necessarily restart at the point Spotify resumed playing on car connection; it's been starting closer to 5% or 95% into the song lately.

Device

Samsung Galaxy A54

Operating System

Android

Going to loop a song, then turning the song off and re-entering to start playing it again causes some problems. Once the song has looped for the first time after doing this, the Spotify app will "loop" the song from the timestamp you left it at when you first closed the app, instead of starting from the beginning of the song. Which is the expected behavior. Just a minor bug I'd like fixed. Thanks!

I’m having this issue where the song I’m listening to on repeat will not start from the beginning, but will instead start mid way through or a few minutes before the end of the song. 

Plan

Premium

Country

Australia 

Device

Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 

Operating System

iOS 17.5.1

My Question or Issue

Hey @missmads!

Can you double-check if the Crossfade transition effect is set to 0s by following these steps? Also, make sure that Automix is turned off in the Playback settings as well.

If it doesn't help, can you try these steps to see if it makes any difference?

Keep me in the loop.
/Mateus

MateusMSpotify Star
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts