Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Spotify crashes on Android

Solved!

Spotify crashes on Android

Hi @all,

i have a problem with the Spotify App on my smartphone (Huawei G510, Android 4.1.2). Since March 2014 this appeared.

When i listen to music on Spotify, Spotify often crashes (no error message), it is just closed and within 30 seconds- 1 minute it starts itself

again, with the song i heared before on hold.

Also in the quickacess menu the "play" button is showed with the "II", as if the player would be on play. if I tap it, the music starts again, so it must actually be on hold.

It has nothing to do with my internet connection I guess, as this happes in offline and online mode. I usualy use offline mode.

Moste times this happens, when i listen to music and simultaneously open another app (Spiegel Online News App, Games, Runtastic). Maybe they interfere in any way. But it doesn't happen instantly when i open the other app, the timing seems to be random for me.

Also this still happens, even now after i installed the latest spotify version and uninstalled the old one.

This makes the spotify app nearly useless for me, as i mostly use it on my phone. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

best regards,

Phil

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Yes indeed, the application "Battery Doctor" with default installation settings on my Samsung Galaxy S4 will "kill" Spotify after about a quarter of a song to upwards of a song and a half.  The cure is pretty simple.

1. Open Battery Doctor

2. Top right screen click the three dots (elipse) and select Settings

3. In the Startup Settings section, touch Ignore List

4. Top right of screen click the Plus (+) sign to add an entry to the My List section.

5. From the list of applications locate Spotify and click the Add button.

Voilà!  Problem solved.

View solution in original post

Screenshot_2016-01-13-10-30-06.png
Marked as solution

Go to Settings->Applications and modify Spotify permissions to allow phone and storage access. No more crashes or reboots.

View solution in original post

19 Replies

Can you try a clean install uninstall then re-install?

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

ok i just tried that. no improvement... still the same

No one any idea? It is quite anoying becaue i just bought premium again to test it once more. But the App is useless, as i sometimes can't even listen to one whole song, because the App crashes befor taht

Do you use an external SD card? Are you running a custom ROM. Is your phone rooted?

The phone is not rooted, no custom rom.

And yes i use an SD Card, I also guess that Spotify is using that because it is 32 GB to 500 MB internal storage.

There are a couple of things worth doing - eliminating the SD card as a factor and making sure there are no files left over from the previous installation. Could you please do the following and let me know if it helps.

• Uninstal spotify
  • Reformat the external SD card in the phone and remove it (back up any important files)
  • Use a file explorer to see if there are any spotify folders in internal storage under \android\data
  •     - if they exist, delete com.android.spotify.ui and com.spotify music folders
  • Download spotify music from Play and listen to some music

If it now behaves normally, you can try switching the cache back to your external SD card:

• Go to the spotify setting page and delete the cache at the bottom
  • Exit spotify and reinsert the SD card
  • Listen to or download some music

Had the same problem. Try this fix before you start formatting stuff. 

http://mobileforums.info/index.php?p=/discussion/269/fix-spotify-crashing-even-after-re-install

Spotify support, You need to document this. Love you support but reinstall is not the best option specially if you have tons of offline tracks

I've got the same problem and no battery app saver. It crashes randomly (without any error message) but specially if I open snapchat or candy crush or two dots (that could rarely be considered heavy apps) or when I'm browsing on chrome, happened just before I reached this page. The weird thing is that it used to work just fine before on my Moto G 1st gen 4.4.4 but keeps happening on my 2nd gen 4.4.4.

Btw, I have a sd card but spotify is completely on internal storage.

Hi
Do not know if the app is crashing, I use it as a remote for my denon avr with Spotify connect, but on Android 4.4.2 Samsung Galaxy Note 3 the Spotify notification after 1 or 2 songs disappears from Android notification bar. To make it appear again I must restart Spotify app on the phone.

For example the sonos notification is always there where it should be (even when not playing).
Any idea?
Thank you

Your right. It's the way the app is saving data to the sd card. Easy fix for me was to just unmount the sd and redownload the app. Started working right away. And you don't have to go through clearing your sd card. Haven't remounted as of yet so don't know what will happen when you do but this should work. Hope it helps

I had a sneaky suspicion this was prolly what was wrong with mine... and certainly didn't want to reinstall and download my local cache again.

Took a stroll through Battery Doctor and added Spotify to my ignore list. Testing it now - if I can play 12 songs in a row without dying I imagine it's cured.

I'm a relatively busy fella... and have to admit that lacking a concrete method of curing the issue would be far more inclined to just cancel my service rather than troubleshoot ad infinitum, so Spotify ... document this well to keep customers!

Hi @user-removed,
You mean that disabling battery doctor for Spotify app solved the problem of Spotify crashing?
What is doing Battery Doctor?
So is it a Battery Doctor problem?
Maybe your suggestion can be useful for other users as well.
Thank you.
Camillo
Marked as solution

Yes indeed, the application "Battery Doctor" with default installation settings on my Samsung Galaxy S4 will "kill" Spotify after about a quarter of a song to upwards of a song and a half.  The cure is pretty simple.

1. Open Battery Doctor

2. Top right screen click the three dots (elipse) and select Settings

3. In the Startup Settings section, touch Ignore List

4. Top right of screen click the Plus (+) sign to add an entry to the My List section.

5. From the list of applications locate Spotify and click the Add button.

Voilà!  Problem solved.

Screenshot_2016-01-13-10-30-06.png

Having this problem on Xiaomi Mi4i running android 5, was working perfectly on premium and now that I've gone back to free it crashes all the time! It doesn't matter if I'm on wifi or mobile date. I have no SD card(No slot on my phone) and I don't have any battery killing apps. I have done a clean install, checked the stream quality on my account, everything. I have plenty of ram both before and after the crash so I've no idea what's causing it! It's currently unusuable as it crashes at least once every few minutes, quicker when I'm using the phone. Please help...

Same problem on the Mi4c. 😞

Marked as solution

Go to Settings->Applications and modify Spotify permissions to allow phone and storage access. No more crashes or reboots.

Massive help mate! My Spotify account now loads within micro seconds and all of my playlists dont un-download randomly!

Cheers!

Memory> background auto clean memory > off It was the only solution that worked for me after trying everything that appears on Internet

I already did that. It won't crash when I have Spotify open, but once I go to another app or shut off my screen, it crashes. Not immediately, sometimes it'll crash at the end of a song, sometimes in the middle; it's completely random. I use Spotify everyday, but I'm considering deleting it simply because of this issue.

Suggested posts