Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Spotify don't save offline Music at SD-Card

Solved!

Spotify don't save offline Music at SD-Card

Hay,

i have Spotify Premium since 2 days, because i want to save my music offline on my smartphone and i hate advertisment.

But it every time i download my playlists, it saves my music at my internal storage. I have a sdcard with 5,7GB free space. At my internal storage is only 400MB space. I cleared my cache and removed all data. But it always download my music at my internal storage.

WHAT CAN I DO?

I have a HTC Desire 626G with Android 4.4.2 and the newest version of Spotify for Android.

I hope someone can help me.

Greets

Maxim (sorry for bad english, i am german)

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

So there is one more thing to try.

Do the uninstall-reinstall again (sorry :-/) and this time, after app reinstall (but before music download) fill the free space in internal phone memory. Fill it with photos, videos etc (this is probably easier by connecting the phone to PC with a USB cable).

This leaves no free space for Spotify to start using. And might convince it to use the SD. (I have used this method on my phone and my daughter's and it worked both times)

Edit: you delete the memory filling files later, once Spotify is recognising the SD card!

View solution in original post

4 Replies

As you found out, Spotify does not save downloads to the memory with most free space (as Spotify claim. What a shame that they persist in posting this as a fact).

Try this:

1. Delete the app and cache as follows:

- go to the app via Settings > Apps.

- click on Force Stop

- click on Clear Cache

- and then uninstall

2. Switch off the device, leave powered off for at least 10 seconds, then restart it.

3. Reinstall the app, but do not download anyhting yet.

4. Go to Settings in the Spotify app, and set Download music quality to Extreme ( I know that you probably won't want to use this if you have limited SD card memory, but this is just for the beginning, to force Spotify to begin using the SD card)

5. Now download some music. Just enough that you can verify that the SD card is being used.  Once you are sure that it is, download some more music in lower quality (if you prefer). You can then (if you want to) undownload the Extreme quality music and re-download that in lower quality.  Spotify should continue to use the SD card.

I tried this, but it download the music always to my internal storage. I dont know.. 😞
Marked as solution

So there is one more thing to try.

Do the uninstall-reinstall again (sorry :-/) and this time, after app reinstall (but before music download) fill the free space in internal phone memory. Fill it with photos, videos etc (this is probably easier by connecting the phone to PC with a USB cable).

This leaves no free space for Spotify to start using. And might convince it to use the SD. (I have used this method on my phone and my daughter's and it worked both times)

Edit: you delete the memory filling files later, once Spotify is recognising the SD card!

Ah right, nice idea. Thanks!

Suggested posts