Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

What happens to my saved songs when I uninstall the app?

What happens to my saved songs when I uninstall the app?

I will start this by saying I am a Premium user and I use Spotify almost solely on my Galaxy Note 4.  Recently I have been getting a pop-up that says I have reached the maximum number of downloads.  From what I understand this is 3,333 on a single device, and I have no problem with that.  What I am having problems with is undownloading songs.  I want to undownload a whole bunch of albums and individual songs that I don't currently want to listen to from my device, without removing them from my saved songs.  I just don't see an option to do this on most of the songs and I think that can be attributed to having chosen the option to download in different areas (i.e. in playlists, individually, as an entire album, or automatically in the case of Discover Weekly).  Because of this, it has become a living nightmare trying to figure out how to undownload thousands of songs.  It's just not working.

It is my understanding that saved songs are different from downloaded ones. Right?  I can save all the songs I want, and the limit only applys to songs that I have acutally downloaded.  Long story short, I think it may be easier to uninstall the app completely, but I do have some concerns. 

1. Will uninstalling actually remove the downloads from my device?  2. Will my playlists and more imporantly my SAVED SONGS remain a part of my account so that I can access them again once I reinstall the app?

There is a good chance I am off the mark and just missing something very minor but vital.  Please feel free to let me know what my best option here would be.  Thank you very much for your time!

5 Replies

hello @savymak

You can clear the cache within the app to erase all the downloaded songs from your phone. It's in the Spotify settings right at the bottom.

Saving songs in your library doesn't download them, it's just a way to populate your streaming library, so they will survive (playlists too) a reinstall of the app.

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I was told I had the maximum number of allowable songs downloaded. So I unchecked the download for a whole bunch of songs that I don't necessarily need to have downloaded. But it still says I cannot download songs. Any ideas why or what I can do?

@jontdster

Do you still have enough space in memory for downloads?

The easiest way would be to clear the cache (Settings > Other > Delete cache and saved data) but that would make you redownload everything again. 😕

https://support.spotify.com/us/using_spotify/collect_music/how-many-tracks-can-i-sync-to-my-device/

osorniosSpotify Star

Hi

Thanks for your help, but I do not have the breadcrumb trail in my Settings area. The options I have on my iPhone 6 are Account, Playback, Social, Streaming Quality, Notifications, About and that is it. No Other!

Any other ideas? Should I just go to Songs and turn off Available Offline? That would delete all my downloads too. And then I could just download the ones I want? I am worried if I do that it will not give me a clean slate to work with.

@jontdster

Oh, if you're an iphone user, the way to clear the cache is by uninstalling / reinstalling the app. You won't lose your playlists, but you will have to download again the tracks for offline listening.

osorniosSpotify Star

Suggested posts