Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Yet another reason Spotify is a terrible music service.

Yet another reason Spotify is a terrible music service.

Downloaded songs gone, playlists not marked for download:

I've read the Spotify Support response to this issue here:

https://support.spotify.com/us/using_spotify/troubleshooting/listen-offline-troubleshooting/

> Downloads unexpectedly removed

To put it simply, their response to this issue is pathetic.

• They have no reason to limit the number of devices that can store offline content to 5.
  • There is no reason a user should have to go online every 30 days. They could simply pass a very small packet of user data required to track song play counts in the background without requiring users to turn on streaming again. Same goes for the premium service check: they could easily ping the user account when the app is launched to check the user's subscription status.
  • Reinstalling the app should not require removing downloaded songs. There are ways around this that they could support so that users wouldn't need to be inconvenienced if/when they need to reinstall the app.
  • Updating the app shouldn't have anything to do with removing downloaded content either.
  • This is so bad it's almost funny: "If your tracks won't stay downloaded to your device, we recommend reinstalling the app before downloading the tracks again." And just above this, "Reinstalling the app removes any downloads."

I'm writing this after about the 6th time I've had to download all of the songs/playlists I had marked for download again (to be honest, I've lost count of how many times I've had to do it, but it has been at least 6-7 times). But what's even more annoying is that they switch the "download" toggle off for all of my downloaded playlists. So not only do I need to go through every single playlist I want to download and flip the toggle again, but I need to wait for them all to download again, and waste even more of time and my data plan to do so. Again.

This is a horrible quality of service for any music service - especially one that is as big as Spotify, and especially for how long they've been around now.

Inconveniencing users and placing the onus on them to resolve problems/inadequacies with your app/service is not good customer support. At a bare minimum, they could at least do the following:

• Leave the "download" toggle set for playlists - even if the downloaded data is removed from a device - thus eliminating the need for the user to go through and set the toggle again for all of their playlists.
  • Add a notification in the main UI of the app when it is launched showing how many days were remaining before needing to go online again.
  • Post a notification when logging in on a device if doing so would cause downloaded songs to be removed from another device.
  • Give users a better way to manage devices within the app so that downloaded data would never get removed from certain devices.

There should never be a case where downloaded songs are removed or can no longer be used by the app. I have had other music I've purchased and downloaded on my phone or desktop/laptop for several years that has never needed to be removed or downloaded again. There's no reason that downloaded content from Spotify should either.

The only reasons I can think of for why they do this are laziness/carelessness, exploitation of user data, and control. If they weren't so lazy/careless, they would write better code for their app and back end to improve not only its functionality, but its horribly-limited feature set. If they weren't trying to exploit user data, they wouldn't need to require users to manually choose to go online every 30 days to stream music instead of only listening to downloaded songs. If they weren't so bent on controlling and restricting their users in order to maintain ownership of them and their data, they would have a more open architecture that was compatible with 3rd party apps with a far-better UI, and actual music database management and organization capabilities.

As soon as I have the time to find a better music service that is less restrictive and more user-friendly, it'll be the end of my Spotify usage. And I get the feeling I won't be the only one who jumps ship for similar reasons.

The days of Spotify are numbered. Alienating users the way they do isn't tolerated for long before people give up and move onto something better.

Plan: Premium

Devices: PC, MacBook Pro, Google Pixel 2

Operating Systems:  Windows 10, macOS 10.12, Android 8.1

6 Replies

Spotify is a complete garbage service.   I can't believe that the computer app is consistently less challenged yet chokes and chokes and chokes way more than the mobile app.  You'd think they haven't furthered their coding for years now.  Misspent money, I am waiting for an alternative.  Joe Rogan won't be enough to hide such utter inferiority.  The process to even leave a comment in their community explained the cluster fook that is their UX Developers don't know anything and should be replaced asap.

I couldn't agree more. Just got done talking to tech support after having to reload all my offline content for the fourth time in 10 days while on the road. They had no solutions. They're completely clueless. Offline content is lost everytime the phone does an update, the app updates, the phone goes to 0% battery or just randomly.

I'll be switching to Apple the first chance I get.

Hello everyone,

We appreciate you voicing your concerns here in our Community and we can assure you we understand it can be inconvenient and frustrating when one has to redownload a bigger amount of tracks for offline listening.

We see that the opinion is that there're no reasons for some of the app behavior, we'd however want to share some more details on the various reasons, both technical and other, for why some of the mentioned things can happen and why coming online every 30 days is necessary.

We'd like to shed some light on those, to hopefully give everyone a better understanding on the situation.

• The amount of offline devices that can be connected to an account are affected by the agreements we have with the different copyright holders, that allow us to provide the content you enjoy on Spotify to the best possible price for a given region. Changing those would in turn mean we'd need to renegotiate our terms and maybe even increase the pricing for Premium to offer additional devices that can be put Offline. Another reason for this is preventing Fraud and account sharing, where a user could share their details to another, who could then just go offline to allow simultaneous usage.
  • We've decided that enabling offline mode should completely disconnect all network connections, even with small data packets or pings to prevent users who are abroad and travelling to get charged extra costs by their mobile operators, due to using data outside of their home country. These charges can sometimes be very high, even for small data transfers. One of our primary goals is to make music as affordable for everyone as possible and we don't want to, even inadvertently, cause extra charges to our users.
  • In order to ensure that Spotify frees up space on our users' devices when someone decides to uninstall it, the removal of the saved offline content is necessary. Otherwise it would be an extra step for everyone who chooses to stop using our service to delete those. We don't want anyone to be affected negatively, even if they do decide to try an alternative to Spotify. For users who want to free up space without removing the app, we've added a special option in the app's settings to delete cache separate from downloads. Furthermore, to ensure accurate troubleshooting and that no corrupted files cause unexpected behavior, the removal of the offline files is necessary in those scenarios as well.
  • Offline tracks can indeed be unexpectedly removed during an OS update or when the battery drops to 0%. This happens because updates to your device's firmware often overwrite some temporary files and by their nature of allowing you to choose which content is downloaded and to deselect it, offline files are temporary and not a permanent part of the app. We have no control over which files get overwritten during OS updates. As for the case when your phone drops to 0% - the most common reason for the disappearance of downloaded content is that your battery died while the app was currently writing data and the write process wasn't completed, so the files got corrupted. We're working on optimizing this, so it happens as rarely as possible.

We hope the above makes it more clear why the app currently functions the way it does.

We can assure you that the privacy of all user data and how it is used is a primary directive to us and it's in no way connected to the requirement of going online. You can read more about how exactly your data is used in our Data Privacy policy.

Even with the reasons outlined, we always strive to make Spotify better and improve our users' experience. We're monitoring feedback closely and are passing it on to the right teams, so that we might find solutions to some inconveniences in the future.

Thank you for your understanding.

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Interesting that Spotify has so much trouble making a good Android app. All my other apps work perfectly with offline content. The best comparative example I could use would be Netflix. I've never had to redownload offline content (or for any other app for that matter- Google Maps, Castbox, etc.)

If your developers are having issues making a usable app maybe you should consult with Netflix's developers. Their app works perfectly and it seems to me that they would have a lot of the same issues regarding content as Spotify. If they can produce a great app, Spotify should be able to as well. No excuses because it's a shame that a company would produce such an inferior product for such a great service.

And, while your at it, your development team might want to look at other podcast apps and what makes them great. The Spotify podcast part of the app lacks a lot of features that are standard with other podcast apps.

I'll look forward to coming back to Spotify once I hear your company has put a little more effort into developing the Android app.

I have had Spotify since almost the beginning of it. As of lately the this service has never been worse. It is almost unusable in offline mode these days which is a big part of the way I used to use Spotify. You would expect an app to get better over time not constantly worse. I have read the comments and the response from Spotify but think their response is so irresponsible. With the technology we have available today it is very unlikely that this problem can’t be solved. If it is a copyright issue then give us the option to pay a premium if necessary but don’t continue to publish and charge us for an app that is becoming so buggy and frustrating that it is almost useless half of the time. It used to be great back in the day when I could truly store 10,000 songs offline. The good old days are a thing of the past with Spotify. I will be trying the free month of Apple and will be switching if it is better.

I just wanted to take a few minutes to follow up on my old post here with some new information.

After spending a few years living and working in Sweden (Spotify is a Swedish company/service, for those who didn't know), I learned quite a bit about Swedish culture and lifestyle. I now have a more informed perspective, and can better understand why the Spotify apps/services are the way they are in terms of their simplicity, lack of features, lack of customization, etc.

Basically, it all comes down to a single Swedish word: "lagom"

Lagom doesn't have a very good direct translation in English. If you use Google translate, it will tell you it means "moderate". But in Swedish, lagom can have a variety of meanings depending on the context in which it is used. And in reality, it applies to so many aspects of life in Sweden that it's more of a cultural and socioeconomic philosophical concept than just being a word in their vocabulary.

In general, when used on its own, it can be taken to mean any of (including, but not limited to) the following:

• just enough
  • only what is necessary/needed
  • as appropriate/an appropriate measure
  • good enough/adequate

In the USA, culturally, our focus tends to be on constant growth, improvement, and the relentless pursuit of progress: "bigger, better, faster, more". We have an awareness of work-life balance (work comes first), yet it tends to be much heavier on the work side of things. In Sweden, it's more of a life-work balance (life comes first), and much heavier on the side of life. A job is just a job, and doesn't define you or your value. How much you produce isn't as important as ensuring you don't work too hard or to the detriment of your physical or mental health.

To visualize how this relates to Spotify, imagine, for example, a planning meeting between the engineering and UI design teams to coordinate how the UI will look and function. In the USA, this would likely expand into several different meetings, market research, focus testing, revisions, more meetings, more focus testing, more revisions, etc. This goes on and on until, at some point, someone in authority sets a hard deadline for the UI design being completed, and both the engineers and designers (albeit somewhat begrudgingly and with some sense of disappointment) agree upon the final UI design.

In Sweden, this would probably be a single meeting to determine the basics of what is needed for the UI, the color scheme, basic functionality, etc. They might do some focus testing, but only if it's deemed necessary. Maybe there would be a follow-up meeting after the first iteration of the UI is functional to review it, and potentially decide if it needs any changes. But all in all, the whole process would be much more focused on doing as little as needed to accomplish the task at hand, as opposed to thinking of and doing everything possible to ensure that the UI design will be as aesthetically-pleasing and feature-packed as possible, while also remaining user-friendly, accessible, and fully-functional/bug-free.

This is why it is the way it is. Lagom. Only what is necessary.

As hardworking Americans, many of us might view this lifestyle concept/philosophy/business model as lazy or careless. We might think of numerous ways in which things could be expanded, improved, or fixed. And if it was up to us, these things would probably happen eventually.

But, unfortunately, it isn't up to us. And since Swedes prefer to live a carefree, relaxed life, where the workday always ends at 17:00 (or earlier, when possible - and not 5:00p.m., but 17:00, since Sweden goes by the 24-hour clock), and you don't do any more work than you need to in order to get by, or take any of your work or job stress home with you from the office, it's unlikely that anything much will expand, grow, or improve anytime soon - not unless it's lagom.

Suggested posts