Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Cannot play ANY song?! - Windows Desktop App

Cannot play ANY song?! - Windows Desktop App

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

Desktop

Operating System

Windows

My Question or Issue

Hi there. I use the Spotify desktop app on Windows every day. All of a sudden, I'm unable to play any song! Nothing works. No updates to my PC, no updates to Spotify. Nothing has changed since yesterday.

I've troubleshooted (troubleshot*?!) the **bleep** out of this and searched everywhere I can to fix this:

ISSUE:

- Cannot play individual songs in playlists, from the home page or search function

- Cannot play playlists

- Cannot play a playlist folder 

- CAN play audiobooks???

TROUBLESHOOTS:

- Songs play from iPhone app just fine

- I tried playing songs from the iPhone app, to then switch the current song on my iPhone over to desktop. Doesn't work

- Audio controls are greyed out (see screenshot)

- Uninstalled and reinstalled latest Spotify desktop app from both Spotify directly and Microsoft store

- Cleared cache

Big gold star to whoever can help with this!

8 Replies

Have you found a solution yet? Got exactly the same problem

Having the same issue. Can search for songs/albums but clicking play doesnt work. It does work if i change the connected device to phone or echo, just not through the PC itself.

Same issue for me as well (Windows Store app). I have tried a clean install but no luck. Still works on my phone and the web player.

Hi there folks,

Thank you for your posts here in the Community and welcome.

We've gotten some reports about this, but it's been fixed by now. If you're still experiencing this situation, try closing and reopening the app. If the issue persists, we'd recommend performing a clean reinstall of the Spotify app. This is more thorough than a quick reinstall and might help. You can also try clearing your Host files by following these steps.

If none of that helps, send over the make/model and OS of the device you're using, along with the Spotify version you are currently running. 

We'll keep an eye out for your reply!

Susan_GPModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

when i deleted spotify files from both roaming and local folders i reinstalled spotify and some songs just didn't work i tried
restaring pc
clean reinstalling spotify
it didn't work.

Desktop app on Windows PC. Any song I try to play results in “Spotify can’t play this right now….” error. I switch to my wife’s profile, everything plays just fine. Switch back to my profile, error message. Cleared cache, restarted, deleted and reinstalled app, nothing helps. Anyone have suggestions?

Exactly the same problem for me.
I did everything and the windows app won't work even after a thorough reinstallation.
Spotify can't play this...
But it can ply via browser or android app.
What can we do? 
It seems that in spite of paying every month a premium account, spotify doesn't offer technical support, like a human chat or an email... Very disapointing.
I'm longing for a solution as well

Hey folks, 

Thanks for posting here and welcome.

@ehardy0, @Tachib, some users have mentioned that running the Windows audio troubleshooter and making sure audio enhancements are off in the sound settings have solved this issue. Would you mind giving it a try? Make sure to restart the app afterwards.

We'd also suggest you try opening the app, go to the three-dot menu at the top-left and select Help> Troubleshooting. There:

• Reset app data.
  • Disable Hardware acceleration.

If this issue persists afterwards, we'd like to gather some additional info. Please send us:

• The OS you're running on your computers.
  • The exact Spotify version you're running there.
  • Does this happen while playing content through a Bluetooth device?

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Suggested posts