Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Volume slider isn't changing the volume of a song.

Volume slider isn't changing the volume of a song.

I try to change the volume of the song I'm listening to, but if I turn it up anywhere past mute, it just remains the same volume regardless of where I set the volume slider at. I've tried restarting my pc, checking audio drivers, re-installing spotify, and nothing has worked.
13 Replies

Same here, nothing's working!!! So annoying!

Hey folks!

Thanks for reaching out 🙂
I'd check if the Volume Mixer or Sound settings aren't altered in any way. To do so:

Right click on the speaker system tray icon and select Volume Mixer:

If this looks ok, go back to right-clicking the speaker icon and select Sound Settings
Go to Sound -> Advanced Sound options:

See how the Spotify app settings look like:

If all goes well these settings should help out! If not, please let us know if adjusting the app volume via Ctrl + up/down arrows would make a difference.

Many thanks! We'll be on the lookout for your replies.

@Pognu @Brianb95 

VasilModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hey, thanks for advice! The volume mixer looks normal, but the Spotify volume mixer doesn't change the volume either. I tried going to the advanced sound settings and adjusting the volume from there, but nothing changed once again. I switched the default preset to my audio device and that didn't seem to change anything either. I also tried using the Ctrl + up/down arrows, but it also just adjusted the volume bar, and not the actual volume. What I did find though, is that the Spotify web player works normally, but it's just the app that seems to be buggy. 

Thanks for the update @Pognu.

If it's still not working then I recommend deleting the app and following the steps for a clean reinstall here. They're a bit more detailed and include clearing the cache which often helps with different performance issues.

After that, download the app either from the Microsoft Store here or from our website (whichever version you weren't using so far) in order to test if it'll make any difference.

Keep us posted and if the issue persists, we'll see what we can suggest 🙂

IvelinaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

my issue im having is every time i try to adjust the volume in the desktop app it immediately changes the app volume in the volume mixer to 2%, unless i crank up the volume on the volume slider within spotify to 100%.

I'm having the EXACT same issue. Nothing they suggested works and my volume mixer on pc keeps dropping to 2% SO ANNOYING!!!

Hey folks,

Thanks for your replies and for the info shared.

@evol10, would you mind sharing with us the troubleshooting you've tried so far? That way, we can avoid repeating any steps. If you haven't yet, By doing that, the app can be up-to-date, and you can make sure the cache is not leading to this issue. You can see the steps for a clean reinstall here.

If this should persist afterwards, please send us the following:

• The exact Spotify version you're running on the affected device.
  • The make/model and OS.
  • Did you notice if this started to happen after a specific event, such as an OS update?

@Brianb95, please send us the exact troubleshooting steps you've tried so far. Would you mind trying to run the app in Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking to rule out any issues with your default Windows settings and basic device drivers?

As mentioned above, please also send us the make/model and OS of the affected device along with the Spotify version you're running there.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

so basically from what ive gathered, clearing cache within the app does absolutely nothing. same with logging out and back in, ive done that at least 10 times. restarting my device has no help, as well as uninstalling the app and reinstalling. i even did a clean uninstall and deleted every single file related to spotify on my pc. i've come to the conclusion that it's an issue with the app itself as the audio drivers i have installed are the correct ones. i've also tried logging into other accounts, but still nothing had changed. 

the version of the desktop app i'm using is Spotify for Windows (64 bit)
1.2.42.290.g242057a2. 

operating system: windows 10

version: 10.0.19045

my pc had no system updates prior to this happening. it just happened out of nowhere.

I have the exact same issue with no matter the volume level I change to - spotify volume stays at 100% until I drop sound to 0%, then that drops to 0% too. ONLY the Spotify app, have tried all the suggestions above.

Spotify version:

Spotify for Windows (64 bit)
1.2.45.454.gc16ec9f6

Has this been fixed yet?

Hey folks,

Have you tried disabling Normalize volume in the app's Settings > Audio quality to see if that does the trick? If you're using the Spotify equalizer, I'd also recommend turning it off temporarily.

In case the issue persists, please share a short screen recording (with audio) which captures the described behavior in action so we can investigate further.

Cheers 🤘

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

I thought I was the only one having this problem, but apparently that's not the case, and it doesn't have anything to do with our devices since the problem was fixed in a new account. So I'm really hoping they'll address and fix the issue for everyone soon. Try contacting the support team directly and telling them you're not the only one having this problem, and it was fixed by changing accounts. 

I just tried this, and it didn't work - after trying everything else mentioned here in this "thread."

Basically I will play a song, try to adjust the volume slider to turn it up/down, and it does not work - music stays equally as loud as everything else on the PC.

Only sometimes does turning it completely down (to mute) does it mute, other times it will just keep playing at the exact same volume - it's as if the slider just is not doing anything at all.

Thanks

Suggested posts