Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Discography in Chronological Order

Spotify provides a great Discography option, but it is sorted from newest to oldest.  I would typically want to listen to the Discography in the order it was released.  Seems like a simple addition to enable sorting the Discography by release date with oldest first (or toggle to newest first).

Is there already a way to do this that I'm missing?

Updated on 2023-08-30

Hey! It looks like your suggestion is growing up fast and it's amazing! We are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and we hope it continues being supported by more and more users.
Thanks again for your suggestion. We really appreciate it 🙂

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Comments
Joan
Status changed to: New Suggestion

Updated on 2023-08-09

Hello and thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

We've gone ahead and marked this as a new suggestion. Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

libbyyjo

Yes please! Let me hear the evolution of artists without having to make my own playlists. 

Autoplay_is_Trash

I've felt the same way for a long while now. Especially for a lot of bands their earlier material when they were younger was more significant than the latest stuff.

Luan
Status changed to: Good Suggestion

Updated on 2023-08-30

Hey! It looks like your suggestion is growing up fast and it's amazing! We are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and we hope it continues being supported by more and more users.
Thanks again for your suggestion. We really appreciate it 🙂

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Sreehari

Support Ur Suggestions!!!

sebtix

Yes, a very simple addition indeed, especially since the "release date" information is already in Spotify databases. It's even the *default* display of the discography on an artist's page... but this feature is still missing forever for the user's library.
It's been requested on a regular basis for years now, and still never was implemented – it hardly makes any sense to me that is still never was. I'm loosing hope (and patience?)

gothamcity6

Massive support for this idea.

Some additional notes:

• When sorted chronologically, please please get rid of the divisions between singles, albums, and appears on.  Having 3 separate lists sorted by date would be very annoying.
  • Consider adding option to hide duplicate tracks (ex. If they appear on an album and single)
  • Please have a way to look at the chronological list just as a playlist/song list, not broken up into separate albums/singles/appears on pages that have to be clicked in and out of, and that act as different individual play queues.  I assume some users might like to see the albums/singles listed in order, but to explore an artist it is so much easier just to have all the songs in one scrollable list.  It is super annoying to have to click around between albums to restart playback at the end of albums/singles, or to individually add different albums/singles to the queue.

My dream would be able to search an artist and quickly and easily be able to create a queue of their discography (singles, albums, and collaborations) in chronological order.  Even better, just view a single playlist/song list in release order, which would also allow users to easily pick up where they left off in a previous listening session by scrolling down to where they were, and would also make creating an artist playlist so much easier.

I came to this page today because I had the thought 'I really like Soulwax, I want to listen to all their stuff in order while I work today.'  Searched the artist on my phone then looking at the interface just gave up because it would take so much active effort clicking and scrolling through things to accomplish what I wanted.  Soulwax has 8+ albums and 20+ singles, and that already feels like a disqualifying amount of effort and distraction from work, let alone for other artists like Taylor Swift or Avicii.

If it helps to talk in terms business/subscription to encourage this feature: if a competitor to Spotify came out with a better interface, as things stand I for one would switch immediately, and would even pay more for it. This specific issue is a large percentage of my frustration with Spotify.  I love Spotify and what it has done for music listening, but for me the feature limited, white space excessive interface acts as a huge barrier between me and the music.

tomper

Adding my support for this. This is Spotify's missing feature that keeps me still using my old mp3 player most of the time.

Spotify already supports the ability to play an entire discography newest album -> oldest album. Allowing the user to reverse the sorting order to oldest album -> newest album is not a big code change and would be a happily received feature.

sebher

Please add this!

When I find a new artist, I like to go through all releases from oldest to newest and then add songs in that order to Liked Songs.

Now to achieve the same thing I have to start at the bottom and then manually keep clicking the next later album whenever the current one finishes. Instead of an automatic flow it becomes a very manual flow.

Needless to say, this is very annoying and tedious. For no understandable reason at all.

I don't see this as a feature, but rather as a UI bug that I hope you will fix soon. There is just no reason why a design should mean limiting the user to a descending order in a music player. In no world is that a good design choice.

Cousin_Eerie

This should be upgraded to an Excellent Idea and implemented immediately.

Actually, it should be a "Why didn't we think of it before idea" as sorting and filtering is a basic tool for most interfaces that serve up lists of things with various categories.