Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

[Other] Toggle on/off the dynamic background color of the lyrics feature.

Hi,

It’s a bit sad to see the similar ideas have been closed. But it shows that other folks have the same feeling as me. We all enjoyed the lyrics function. However, some of the background colors are too bright to watch.

I was hoping that there is a toggle to turn on/off the dynamic color. And, when turning it off, I can choose a color I like as the fixed background color.

Thank you!

Updated on 2022-03-21

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
NickRSA

I can see exactly why it is picking the colours it is. It is using the most prominent or the average colour in the album art. Where the colour is too light it will default to a grey colour.

I'd like to draw Spotify's attention to the following contrast checker using colours from "Chase You Down - RUNAGROUND".

NickRSA_0-1646075850448.png

Background: #F3001C (A shade of red)
Foreground: #FFFFFF (White)

This FAILS accessibility standards prescribed for web. As there are no or little standards governing apps, it is considered good practice to apply these web standards to apps too (especially considering Spotify is a web app in a wrapper, namely Chromium). Results for the above can be seen here: https://webaim.org/resources/contrastchecker/?fcolor=FFFFFF&bcolor=F3001C

On the same lyrics you have the "upcoming lyrics", which looks like the below:

NickRSA_1-1646076107675.png

Background: #F3001C (A shade of red)
Foreground: #520009 (A blend of black and the background, as a result of black with an opacity)

This too FAILS, see the results here: https://webaim.org/resources/contrastchecker/?fcolor=520009&bcolor=F3001C

These results are only for this specific song but apply to a myriad of other songs, while others will pass. Unfortunately, people with accessibility issues do not only listen to the songs that pass.

Small text is very relevant because:

- The Spotify client is able to be shrunk in width and height which adjusts the font size.

- People sit variable distance from their monitors.

- People have different resolutions

- In some instances, people adjust their entire desktop size

This is a lack of support for people with light sensitivity and other visual impairments. I urge Spotify to consider implementing this very simple fix by allowing users to define a static background or keep it random.

It is worth noting that just because this does not have 4000 upvotes does not detract from the importance of this as this has affected at least 164 people (at the time of posting). Not everyone a) knows to post or upvote this post and b) has a visaul impairment. This is a feature that will help the minority.

Nick

Novy
Status changed to: Live Idea

Updated on 2022-03-21

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

NickRSA

Thank you Novy, I am sure a lot of people are looking forward to positive feedback.

Nick

edwincr

The background color of the lyrics screen is extremely bright and hurts to look at, especially on something like a QLED TV combined with Bright Red / Pink. 

CristianAndrei

In my personal top of features wanted from Spotify, this is #1 (and #2, #3 🙂 ).

imnotthatrobot

I was able to solve this problem installing a Chrome complement called 'Stylebot' (I can't advice about the app... first time using it, there are other similar addons) ..  and making the indicated changes in the style for the indicated URL  .. although it only works for the webplayer... It really hurts your eyes when they display those bright hurting  human-hating colors in the background 😞  ...

Captura de pantalla de 2022-04-16 20-40-30.png

.hW9km7ku6_iggdWDR_Lg{
--lyrics-color-background: #151717;
--lyrics-color-active: #f6fff9;
--lyrics-color-inactive: rgb(38 104 80);
}

HELLO SIRS/MADAMS,

Please let us change the background image of Lyrics pages. It's so obnoxious and bright for the eyes, it makes no sense to have BRIGHT RED on black pages, it literally burns your eyes no matter what you do.

No idea who had this idea, just let us choose what colours we get, and if that's too difficult just set them to non-bright colours and make it pleasant to the eyes. 

Please.

xeriphas

It's really annoying when the background is red. I can't look at it for longer than 5 seconds without my eyes hurting. Please allow us to change the background color or at least make it so that it changes everytime we restart the song so we can keep retrying until we get some color that won't hurt our eyes.

JayC16

I was super excited when the Lyrics function was added on Spotify, currently the background colour of the Lyrics changes when the song change, however a lot of them are in super bright red/purple/pink background with white lyrics, which are very harsh on human eyes. So please either filter out the colours that is not humanly possible to stare for more than 1mins, or make it easier, provide an option in setting to be able customize the Lyrics background colour, or rotate some colours if you wish to (just like how PC background works). Thank you.

zamoritarocio

Hi, some song lyrics seem to use an automated background color somehow based on cover colors or something similar.

In many occasions these letters are extremely uncomfortable to read when the background color has a high brightness.

my eyes suffer when I see colors with too much brightness, it gives me a migraine

Could you provide an option to reduce that brightness or modify those colors?

I attach an example

IMG_C4491A4944EE-1.jpg