Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

[Podcasts] Auto-Updating Podcast Playlists/Routines

Every morning, I have a number of daily news podcasts that I enjoy listening to in the same order every time. The way I currently go about this routine is by starting to play the latest episode from the first podcast, then adding the latest episode of the second and third (and so on...) podcasts to the que so they play in the order I choose.

This feels pretty tedious, so I attempted to create a playlist with these podcasts in the order I like to listen to them everyday. However, I seem to only be able to add specific episodes to the playlist, not the show itself. Which means I can create the perfect playlist for THIS morning, but by TOMORROW morning it will not have updated to the latest episodes and be out of date.

And so, therein lies my idea... The ability to create an auto-updating playlist of podcasts (not podcast episodes) in the order I choose.

I see it resembling something like the "Routines" one can set on the Amazon Alexa app. For example, when a particular custom phrase is spoken, a preset number of actions occur in the order they were set. Translated to Spotify: You press the play button on a podcast playlist, and a preset selection of latest episodes play in the order they were set. Similar to the "Daily Drive" playlist, but with the ability to customize exactly what I want to hear.

Based on how I like to use Spotify, this idea being implemented would significantly improve my ease of use and enjoyment of the app. Thanks for reading.

Updated on 2023-04-11

Hey! It looks like your suggestion is growing up fast and it's amazing! We are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and we hope it continues being supported by more and more users.
Thanks again for your suggestion. We really appreciate it 🙂

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Comments
Eni
Status changed to: New Suggestion

Updated on 2023-04-09

Hello and thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

We've gone ahead and marked this as a new suggestion. Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

Luan
Status changed to: Good Suggestion

Updated on 2023-04-11

Hey! It looks like your suggestion is growing up fast and it's amazing! We are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and we hope it continues being supported by more and more users.
Thanks again for your suggestion. We really appreciate it 🙂

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Karlitomann

Google YouTube Music just rolled out with a New Episodes auto playlists for all your subscribed to podcasts, availability of Podcasts is limited, hopefully this is only due to it being a new feature and they're still mitgrating Podcasts.

Funny how "advanced" we seem to think we are when something as basic as a well designed Podcast app is nonexistent. This feature is really a game changer for users, especially with the suggested features of catagorizing podcasts into genres, playlists, or "Groups" as Stitcher calls them.

bmws88

Spotify as of now is unusable as a podcast player because of the manual interference needed. I've used Podcast Addict for years on my cell phone and I use Playrun on my Garmin watch for Podcasts. I do not use Spotify because it doesn't meet the basic requirement: auto populate new episode. I am going back to BEG Spotify to add this feature because Playrun somehow decided my Garmin watch now isn't a compatible device even though I can still use it before I made the fatal mistake of uninstalling it to reinstall. 

SeanK_Owl

Pulling for your idea. Seeing how the Daily Drive blends songs with the latest podcast episode, I imagine most of the pieces to make it work are already there behind the scenes.

jinny212

This feature has been a staple for Overcast for years which is unfortunately why I can’t switch to Spotify!

licerod

I need this in my life. I manually go to each of my daily Podcasts and add them to the queue every day.

It'd be fantastic to have this as a feature.

daedalus66

This is a very basic function, ABSOLUTELY necessary and I am very surprise that a classic platform as Spotify is still waiting for the user suggestions to implement it. I am thinking to stop renewing and transfer to a more sophisticated platform…

jwoody

Still in the works?  Need this for my Sonos alarm to work properly!  Right now I use Daily Drive but I have no control over what plays.  Its nice sometimes, but it would be great if I could play, for example, NPR Morning Edition (or Fox News Daily if you prefer), then a market update pod, or something like that.  Know wat I'm sayn'?

mattgarfield

How is this not a v0.2.0 feature? I know Spotify was a little late to the Podcast game, but not providing the ability to add a PODCAST to a playlist (rather than an individual episodes) is like the developers at Spotify don't actually even listen to podcasts. If they do, I bet they won't even use their own tool because of this deal-breaker feature miss.