Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Spotify app crashing when trying to play a podcast/ audiobook

Hey folks!

Some of you may experience issues when trying to play podcasts or audiobooks, leading to the app crashing. This is now being looked into.

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We’re happy to say that this should now be fixed for everyone! We'd suggest giving your app a restart if it's not behaving properly.

In case you're still having trouble after this, make sure to post a new thread in the relevant help board here.

Thanks!

Comments
stanleymanly21

The app crashes every time I try to play a podcast. I have tried all recommended troubleshooting steps I could find and was able to get it to play music again, but still cannot play podcasts. Occurs on both Wi-Fi and Cellular data, and if the podcast is already downloaded or streaming. Issue started this morning. 

Plan: Premium

Device: Google Pixel 6

App version: 8.9.40.509

Edit (2024-05-21 02:47 PM US Central Time): I can play Podcasts again! App version is the same. Hopefully it's working for others. 

sferguson12

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

Pixel 8

Operating System

Android 14

My Question or Issue

Attempting to open any audiobook on the Spotify Android app causes Spotify to immediately crash.  The book and chapter list will display briefly before the app stops running.  My account page shows that I've only used 4 of 15 listening hours.

Things I've tried:

* Force restarting the app

* Restarting the phone

* Clearing cache and then force restarting the app

* Clearing data and then force restarting the app

* Uninstalling and reinstalling the app

* Trying at least three different audiobooks

* Playing audiobooks on a Pixel Tablet (also crashes)

* Playing audiobooks on the Mac desktop app (works fine)

** Side note: If the audio book is the last thing I've played from the desktop app, the Android app crashes immediately on starting and won't run at all. I have to go play music on the desktop so that the last played track is not an audiobook.

I see that my last Spotify app update was May 13, and I have definitely played audiobooks since then.

What else can I try to fix this?

intr00d

Me too. Same app version, S22 Ultra in UK. 

Tried all steps, no good. I'm paying for a family account too. 

Cleared cache, re-installed, no VPN, data and WiFi. Tried playing a song from a link, but soon as app opens my late played is a JRE pod... So crashes. 

Screenshot_20240520_170619_Device care.jpg
guitarn0ir

Same thing here. Using a Samsung S20 and same version of Spotify. Issue just started this morning but the last Spotify update was several days ago and podcasts worked fine until now. Clearing cache and reinstalling the app do not fix.

Temp solution of listening via browser on mobile does work

PhilW1973

Kinda glad I'm not the only one. Started happening this afternoon (5pm uk time)

Tried all the same things, cleared cache,  restarted app, and tried other audiobooks. All the same result. 

Screenshot_20240520_183708_Device care.jpg
michellecarson1010

I'm having the same issue.  Music will play but podcasts won't. I have a google pixel 7 - based in the US. I've taken all the steps to troubleshoot but nothing has worked, including unistalling/reinstalling, clearing cache, playback settings, restarted phone, check for phone and app updates - nothing has worked. Podcast would play at around 8 am ET but by 12 pm ET it wasn't working. The app just automatically closes when I try to play or download a podcast. 

Malsies

As of the last hour or so, the Spotify app crashes immediately if I try to play any podcast or audiobook. Music seems to play without any issues. I've tried restarting the app, restarting my phone, and uninstalling/reinstalling Spotify. None of this has changed anything, the app still crashes if I try to play any podcast. The Spotify subreddit has a current thread with other users reporting the same problem.

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Samsung Galaxy S22

Operating System

Android - Latest version

DynomyteDan

I am having a similar issue.  Everything was fine on my drive in this morning, but now any podcast or audiobook will immediately crash the app.

Malsies

Same issue. Samsung S22 with latest updated versions of Android and Spotify.

Anne161

I have the same issue! Google pixel 6a, OS: Android 14, App version: 8.9.40.509