Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Amazon Household / Spotify Connect Issue: Echo Devices only on one Account

Solved!

Amazon Household / Spotify Connect Issue: Echo Devices only on one Account

Plan

Premium Duo

Country

Germany

Device

(iPhone 14 Pro, iPhone 15 Pro Max, iPad 10th Gen., iPad mini 5, several Echo Devices)

Operating System

(iOS 17.4.1, iPadOS 17.4.1)

My Question or Issue

Hello Spotify-Community,

I'm reaching out with the following concern:

In our household, my wife and I use multiple Echo devices, all linked to my Alexa account. My Alexa account and my wife's account are combined into one Amazon household. Each of our two Alexa accounts is individually linked to separate Spotify accounts through the Spotify skill. Music playback works flawlessly from each Alexa account via voice commands, allowing me, for example, to listen to music on my Spotify account while away and my wife to listen at home on the Echo devices. However, we're encountering issues with music playback through the Spotify app via Spotify Connect. This feature is essential for us, as Alexa sometimes misunderstands artist names or song titles.

All devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi network, and the Echo devices are visible in the Alexa app for both users.

The issue is that all Echo devices are only shown in my Spotify app, whereas for my wife, they are visible but not selectable (displaying the message "Activating..."). I haven't found a way to change this so that both of us can use Spotify Connect.

Attempts to resolve the issue that have been unsuccessful include:

• Reconfiguring the Spotify skills
  • Removing and re-adding the devices
  • Switching Wi-Fi networks
  • Dissolving and re-establishing the household

What might I be overlooking? How can I solve this problem?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there @Thasitis,

Thanks for reaching out and for all the details provided!

When you're using Connect, it will only work with the account that's currently connected to the speakers. And usually, Echo devices will only show up for the account they are first linked with. Everyone else in the household has to first give the command "Alexa, Spotify Connect", after which they should be able to select that Echo in their app 🙂

We can also recommend checking with Amazon support, should you have further questions on the set up.

Hope this helps! We're just a post away if you need anything else.

MariaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey there @Thasitis,

Thanks for reaching out and for all the details provided!

When you're using Connect, it will only work with the account that's currently connected to the speakers. And usually, Echo devices will only show up for the account they are first linked with. Everyone else in the household has to first give the command "Alexa, Spotify Connect", after which they should be able to select that Echo in their app 🙂

We can also recommend checking with Amazon support, should you have further questions on the set up.

Hope this helps! We're just a post away if you need anything else.

MariaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hey Maria,

Big thanks for getting back to me so quickly and for the super helpful advice! The "Alexa, Spotify Connect" trick worked perfectly. Everyone in the house can now jam to their tunes on the Echo without a hitch. Seriously, it was the exact fix we needed!

Also, cheers for the heads-up about getting in touch with Amazon support. I'll definitely drop them a line if I need more help with the setup.

Really appreciate your help and the quick fix you provided. You rock!

Cheers,
Iakovos

After being on to Spotify support for the last few days with 5 different people and various emails/webchats. They suggested endless different steps to try and solve the fact that Echo devices were not appearing in the device list for family members (would only appear for the one initial account). Involved uninstalling the app, hard resets of Echos, routers, you name it. None of that worked.

I've just found this thread and your suggestion that 'Echo devices will only show up for the account they are first linked with' was exactly right and then to use 'Spotify Connect' did finally work. No-one in support had every suggested trying that. I think maybe it should be publicised a bit more!

Anyway, thanks as was very frustrating.

Suggested posts