Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

I can't select a song, the app scrambles through the playlist, music stops

I can't select a song, the app scrambles through the playlist, music stops

On the desktop, where I access Spotify through my chrome browser, for the last month or so, every time I try to play a song, the app scrambles through the playlist, won't allow me to select a song, and the audio cuts out after 9-10 seconds, even though the song seems to keep playing. This does not happen on my phone, just on my desktop. What can I do? I never had this problem before.
10 Replies

Hey there,

Thank you for reaching out here in the Community.

Could you try to log out > restart your device > log back in to see if that makes any difference for you?

It's also a good idea to clear cached files on your Chrome browser. Go to vertical three dots on top right corner Lyubka_0-1677053285076.png > tap on Settings > Privacy & Security > Clear browsing data. If you don't want your history to be cleared, you can unmark this option. 

If the issue persists, would you mind asking a friend or a family member to log in on your browser and test if the same behavior occurs with their account? 

Let us know how it goes. We'll be on the lookout for your reply. 

LyubkaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

I thought it was just me, I have the same exact problem with my Spotify on desktop. I've tried everything the moderators told me to do and I still have this issue, I've had people I know log into my browser (with their own account) and play songs and they had the same exact issue but our Spotify is perfectly normal on our phones. I think I know what the issue is, the browser created a queue for all my liked songs that I never created and whenever I remove a song from the queue a new song from my liked pops up and it just doesn't stop. How do I get rid of this problem??

Hey @wormgirl,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for joining the conversation.

If it happens only when using the desktop version of the app, it could be related to a specific cache still stored on your PC. If you've tried a clean reinstall already, we'd recommend clearing any entries which contain "Spotify" from the host files on your computer. To do so, you can follow the instructions in this post (even if it's a different issue).

Also, in case you have any VPN active on your PC, we'd recommend turning it off to see if it makes any difference since the app could get affected by network restrictions.

Lastly, include in your next response the Spotify version you're currently running to continue investigating the case.

Hope this helps, we'll be on the lookout. 

OscarDCModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I have this same exact issue (Spotify stops playing after 9-10 seconds) and can't seem to find a solution to it.

I updated Chrome to the latest version, cleared all history/cache/cookies, logged out/back in, ran browser in incognito mode, restarted PC, installed the Spotify desktop app and I still have the issue. Spotify worked flawlessly up until a couple weeks ago. I did not install or change any hardware/software on my PC that would otherwise cause an issue with any web services.

I've scoured the internet for this issue and read many forum posts related to it. I have yet to find any remedy/fix. Could someone please offer a plausible solution outside of saying clear the browser cache or log out and log back in?

Hey @spesha1_k 

Welcome to the Community and thank you for joining the conversation.

Great troubleshooting so far; we can add a few more steps to make sure we've covered all the bases. In this case, would you mind checking if using a different Wi-Fi connection makes any difference? In case you don't have another one available, you can use a mobile data hotspot to test it. 

If the issue persists, it's possible that some specific cache might be affecting the proper behavior of the app and Web Player on your device. We'd also recommend clearing any entries that contain Spotify from the host files on your computer. To do so, you can follow the instructions in this post. 

We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hey OscarDC,

I am on a wired connected desktop. There were no Spotify related entries in my host file or any other related file I could find.

All the Ads seem to play just fine in my Chrome browser without any sound cut-outs or issues, but the songs still only play for a few seconds and then skip until the next Ad occurs. This still makes no sense to me as it was working just fine a month or so ago.

Please let me know if you have any further advice.

Hey @spesha1_k,

Thanks for all the troubleshooting done so far.

Could you try checking if the same issue occurs on a different browser?

Keep us posted,

Cheers!

DianModerator

Hey Dian,

I tried my account on through Chrome again on another computer and it seems to work, so there must be some cache or reference of Spotify in a file on my desktop that's causing this to happen on that computer. A similar issue occurred when I tried it on another browser on the same machine. I really have no idea what's going on here. I guess the next step is to completely re-install Chrome on my desktop and try again from the web browser. I'm just not sure if that will work since the thick client is having similar issues. 

Hey @spesha1_k,

Thanks for the reply and the extensive troubleshooting.

We should rule out network related issues. Could you try changing the network connection of the affected device? You can use a hot spot from your phone as a starter. If you're using a VPN, turn it off.

Let us know how that went,

Cheers!

DianModerator

I copied my entire OS/apps over to a new M.2 drive and somehow don't have the issue anymore. Thanks again for helping me troubleshoot.

Cheers!

Suggested posts