Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Unable to play the BBC world service podcast

Unable to play the BBC world service podcast

I have listened to the podcast before. Today the most recent two episodes of the BBC world service unable to play. Every time I click play it stays up for like 2 seconds and then goes away. 

I have cleared cache, done a clear uninstall, logged out and logged back in and nothing has changed. 

I listen to the podcast when I'm at work so I am unable to use the web player on PC.

Please let there be a fix soon I'm a paying customer and would like to keep enjoying the service that I pay for.

Top Answer
Mario
Spotify Legend

Hey @lisaabregop,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

Writing to confirm there that not all content is available via all devices in all regions. If the podcasts work on your PC or smartphone and the issue is limited to your Echo, it's likely a rare instance of something similar to what's reported in this thread. 

Nonetheless, we'll take your feedback into serious account as we constantly strive to inform our action with our users' needs and experience.

Cheers!

47 Replies

Heya! Thanks for letting us know. It sounds like you've tried all of our suggestions, so I'll pass you on to our support channel. Thanks for writing!

I encountered the same problem. At first, I thought only Hong Kong listeners are not entitled to play the podcasts.

In fact, not only BBC World Service is dead, all of the BBC series such as Global News Podcast and The English We Speak and Learning English podcasts are dead too. The episodes are there, but nothing can be played or downloaded. Please fix the problem. Thank you.

I encountered the same problem. At first, I thought only Hong Kong listeners are not entitled to play the podcasts.

In fact, not only BBC World Service is dead, all of the BBC series such as Global News Podcast and The English We Speak and Learning English podcasts are dead too. The episodes are there, but nothing can be played or downloaded. Please fix the problem. Thank you.

same here!

paying customer, and unable to access the global news podcast from bbc on spotify... 

I don't understand, and indeed, I cleared my cache, etc. Nothing happens.

please fix this!

Sorry to say but same here!

I’m also a paying customer, I did the usual troubleshooting, but to no avail.

All my subscriptions from the BBC network are not playing.

Please could you fix it soon? Thank you.

I have a similar issue with a different podcast.

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

iPhone 12 mini / iPad 7th Gen

Operating System

iOS 15.2

My Question or Issue

I am unable to play or download episodes from a specific podcast (Guardian Football Weekly).

When I select 'Play' on an episode, nothing happens. When I select 'Download', the 'Downloading' icon appears but the progress circle does nothing.

Also in 'Your Library' section, the top Downloading bar either remains at 0 of 1, or flashes between 'Downloading', 'Completed', and disappearing from the screen.

I have done the following:

- Tried to download the podcast onto both iPhone 12 mini and iPad 7th Gen but neither worked

- Closed and restarted the app on both iPhone and iPad, which has not worked

- Turning the iPhone / iPad on and off again

- Uninstalled and reinstalled the app on an iPad, but the issue still persists

I am unwilling to uninstall and reinstall the app on my iPhone as this means I would need to re-download all my music, which is time consuming and a drain on the battery life.

All other podcasts download without any issue, so it is not an issue with the WiFi connection.

IMG_6729.PNG
IMG_6730.PNG

I have the same problem.  Are you trying to fix this problem? Thanks. 

I am having a similar problem. Yesterday, the BBC In Our Time podcasts suddenly stopped working. My phone shows the podcast as playing, but there is no sound. I am having the problem on my iPhone 11 and my iPad.  I did a clean reinstall, updated iOS, but nothing has helped. Super frustrating, since I have a subscription to this content!

Same problem here. I have tried every possible solution. Now i see everybody have same problem with every BBC network podcasts. So finally get that problem is not from me. Please fix it as soon as possible. 

Also seeing this problem with In Our Time: History

I’m also not able to play the BBC Global News Podcast, I believe my issues started yesterday. All my other podcasts and music play fine without issue. I’m using an iPhone 12 and have a premium subscription. I haven’t tried on other devices. 

Dear sweeties working for Spotify!

I think you are working well I want to thank you for that.

I tried to launch the latest BBC World Service podcast (https://open.spotify.com/show/3wBfqov60qDZbEVjPHo0a8) from a browser (Firefox) without being connected and it worked. Once I get connected, it didn't work. This really looks like a problem on your side.

Could you please fix this ASAP?

Thanks!

Regards.

I've tried to play the BBC Global News Podcast on three different platforms. The results:

Spotify for desktop (Windows 10) - would not play any episode

Spotify for Android - would not play any episode

Spotify for Roku - successfully played most recent episode

Not exactly an ideal situation, as the Roku player is the one I listen on the least. Also, somewhat ironic as, up until recently, this podcast played on every platform but Roku.

I am also experiencing this issue on iOS! Other podcasts play fine but not BBC. I have tried the clean reinstall and playing on different wifi network, restarting phone, etc. But nothing so far has worked. Thanks. 

Having the same issue on Chrome and in the app. 

I try to press play on an episode and it flicks around to another one, says its playing but theres no sound. Only happening on any bbc podcast, and the only sound I am getting at all are the ads. 

Super annoying and glad its not just me having this issue.

Having the same problem podcast not playing, have performed all of the various fixes and completed all of the updates for iOS and added in holding my tongue and placing my foot at different angles whist performing these but to no avail podcast still won’t play. 
please fix and let us know if we should also be performing the Hokey Cokey/Pokey whist implementing the various “fixes”. 

on iOS with multiple devices all not working 

Performed reset etc

on family premium account 

I do not have access to BBC World Service either. Very frustrating!

I have the same problem here!

I cannot play BBC Global News Podcast this week.

But I still can listen to it via Apple Podcast, it's definitely something wrong with Spotify.

Please fix it asap, thanks.

Having the same issue with ALL BBC podcasts. Started happening about two days ago, all previous fixes have been attempted without success.

Suggested posts