Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

I had to reset my password because of "Suspicious Activity"

I had to reset my password because of "Suspicious Activity"

Plan

Premium

Country

Mexico

Device

(Android Phone, HP Laptop) 

Operating System

(Android, Arch Linux, Windows 11)

My Question or Issue

Hello, I got worried because I was accessing Spotify and noticed I got logged off and  had to reset my password. I checked my email, and it said that the reason was because "suspicious activity" was detected in my account. However, I checked my account and it hasn't been used in any suspicious way. As for myself, I've never used it in a way that is not outside what Spotify allows.
The only thing I could think of that could be detected as "suspicious" would be the fact that I use Spotify on Linux (in fact, the time I was logged off was when I tried to access the official Linux app, which is the one I use the most). I first used the "spotify-tui" app with the developer API that Spotify provides, but then I switched to the Spotify official app. I also use Spotify on my cellphone and on my Windows device. As far as I know, neither of them break Spotify's terms of service.
Right now, I have already changed my password and can now I access on all my devices correctly as always, but I'm worried that me using the app on Linux will continue to be registered as "suspicious", since I already have had problems like this with other web applications.
What I want to know is if there is a way I can make sure that this won't become a bigger problem, or how can I fix it if indeed it can get worse. I don't want to lose my account since I constantly pay for Premium and I have done nothing wrong as a user

2 Replies

Hey @lechuzacomun1999,

Thanks for reaching out!

Although it does work on it, Spotify is not officially supported on Linux. This might cause slight errors from time to time but, judging from what I've seen during these past few years, it doesn't look like the use of the Linux OS would be the reason behind this suspicious activity and neither is the use of Spotify API tools. 

The use of VPN services might trigger an automatic password reset, but, aside from this, you don't need to worry about this becoming a bigger or more frequent issue 🙂

Tip: In case you spot anything wrong with your account like music in Your Library you haven't played before or playlists that aren't yours, it's a good idea to take a look at this FAQ article. As this doesn't seem to be the case at this time, this is for your information only.

Hope this helps clear things up! We're here for you in case further questions come to mind 🙌🏼

VasilModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thank you for your reply, I will keep monitoring my account to see if anything happens. I don't use any VPNs, so maybe it was because I accessed my account through Firefox, but I hope you are right and this isn't an issue.

Suggested posts