Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Spotify put me in the wrong country

Solved!

Spotify put me in the wrong country

Plan

Premium Family

Country

USA (actual), Venezuela (according to Spotify)

My Question or Issue

I live in the USA and very rarely go out of the country.  I was browsing for a Spotify Family free trial and, not finding one, I clicked on a link that let me sign up for this plan for $9.60/month.  It wouldn't let me use my credit cards so I used my PayPal account.  I specified my USA address for my family location.  There was never an indication that there was a problem with the address,

For some reason, Spotify has my account as being in Venezuela.  And my wife cannot create an associated Spotify account because it says she is in a different country.

I tried changing payment method to one of my credit cards but it still will not accept the card, presumably because it is in the wrong country (USA).  How do I change the country on my account or otherwise resolve this so my wife can use the family plan?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @truepete,

Thanks for reaching out.

Your Spotify account's country setting was likely set to Venezuela because the country of your PayPal account is set to it.

If you've already tried updating your Spotify country setting/payment method following these steps and it didn't work, then you'l have to cancel your current subscription and wait for it to end. Once it has ended, you can change your country setting through the dropdown menu here.

Once that's done, you can subscribe to your desired plan using your US payment method at https://spotify.com/premium. Please keep in mind that you'll need to invite all members of the Premium Family plan again.

Instructions on how to cancel and how that affects your account can be found at https://support.spotify.com/article/cancel-premium/.

Hope this helps 🙂

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @truepete,

Thanks for reaching out.

Your Spotify account's country setting was likely set to Venezuela because the country of your PayPal account is set to it.

If you've already tried updating your Spotify country setting/payment method following these steps and it didn't work, then you'l have to cancel your current subscription and wait for it to end. Once it has ended, you can change your country setting through the dropdown menu here.

Once that's done, you can subscribe to your desired plan using your US payment method at https://spotify.com/premium. Please keep in mind that you'll need to invite all members of the Premium Family plan again.

Instructions on how to cancel and how that affects your account can be found at https://support.spotify.com/article/cancel-premium/.

Hope this helps 🙂

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I have the same issue that it says my country is Venezuela.  I'm still doing a trail and it says the only way to change countries is to update credit card and that I can change it to USA.  But it wants me to pay for service now to do that!  I'm still trying to figure out if I like Spotify and this isn't helping.  I did sign up the trail with my PayPal, but it is set for USA. I have never traveled, lived or had ANYTHING to do with Venezuela!  Spotify has a bug in their system it it should be corrected.

Correction - I am doing a "trial" (not trail!).

The instructions provided in the first reply worked.

I think this happened because I searched the internet for a deal and found it, but the link took me to a Venezuela sign-up.

Suggested posts