Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Local files will not play, grayed out

Local files will not play, grayed out

Premium, Android/Windows (trouble is related to syncing)

A very long time ago, I was getting a new phone, and I wanted to move my files over from my phone to my computer so I didn't lose them (I didn't have Spotify at the time). When I got Spotify, I realized I could put the files in playlists (as local files) so I could still listen to the same tunes while using Spotify.

Now, a WHILE after having used those local files on Spotify with no problem, I go to download some more files, because one of my favorite artists came out with a few new songs and I couldn't find them on Spotify.

So I downloaded them on my computer, and they play on the computer fine. But I also wanted the files to sync to my phone (which normally isn't a problem) when I find that all of the new songs are grayed out, and tapping on them doesn't do anything.

I looked this up, and it still doesn't work, so let me save you the trouble of asking:

--I logged back out and back in on both devices

--I'm on the same account on both devices

--I'm online in both devices

--Both devices are on the same network connection

--The file types are supported by Spotify. I can play the files on my computer perfectly fine.

--I have a Premium subscription, but I was able to sync my files in the past without one, so there shouldn't be a problem there.

--There is enough space on the device's memory

--I have the latest version of Spotify installed on both devices

--My device's firmware is up-to-date

--I don't even have 300 songs downloaded, and I only use 2 devices with it, so the 10,000 song and 5 device limit does not apply.

--My network is private

--Spotify is set as an exception in my firewalls.

--I reinstalled Spotify on both devices, and not only did this not work, it made it so that all of my PREVIOUSLY uploaded files were unusable on my phone.

--I tried making my phone a mobile hotspot and connecting my computer to it.

7 Replies

Hey there @pajrc1234,

Thanks for reaching out and for the extensive troubleshooting.

Keep in mind that you can only import local files obtained from official sources. If that's the case try the following:

1. Remove all playlists with greyed out imported local files, both on your PC and on your smartphone.

2. Perform a clean reinstall on both devices using these steps.

3. Check your Windows hosts file for Spotify entries. You'll find here all necessary steps. 
4. Import your tunes again following these instructions.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

Have a great day!

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Sorry, this just didn't work. All of my files are still grayed out on my phone.

Hey there @pajrc1234, apologies for the delayed response, we just came across your reply.

As we haven’t seen any similar posts about this recently, could you let us know if you’re still having troubles with this?

If you do, can you please confirm if this happens with all your local files you wish to transfer or only with this one particular album/artist?

We'll see what we can suggest from there.

Cheers!

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I put my downloaded local files onto a spotify playlist and now they are grayed out. This playlist was downloaded onto my memory for spotify and they always worked before but now say they are unavailable. This music was sourced by legitimate means. 

Hey @racer101,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community!

Did you make sure to follow the instructions that @Mihail shared above? Those should be helpful to sort this out.

Keep us posted on how it goes. We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

I did reload them from my desktop and they populated up. However, I get an error message when I try to click on the track stating "spotify cannot play this track If you have the file you can import it. I do have all of the files on my computer have no idea how to import them.

Hi @racer101,

Thanks for your reply.

Something else you can try is changing the source folder of the Local files on the PC. Just uninstall Spotify > create a new folder somewhere else on the PC and move the Local files there > install Spotify again > remove any potential source folders and add the new one > download the playlist again.

Hope that helps. We'll keep an eye out for your reply to see how it goes.

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Suggested posts