Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Playlists not showing up at all when using an SD Card

Playlists not showing up at all when using an SD Card

Plan

Premium/ Android App version 8.6.32.925

Country

UK

Device

Moto E4 Plus

Operating System

Android 7.1.1

My Question or Issue

I'm reporting this as a new issue as I did mention it in this thread - https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Mobile-Playlists-disappear-from-Your-Library-after-b...

but the version of the app that fixes that problem doesn't fix my problem.

When I change the location of the cache and downloaded data to my SD Card all the playlists disappear downloaded or not.

Tried all the steps in the FAQ and even bought a new SD Card but nothing happens.

27 Replies

Hi there @martinjh99,

Thank you for your post here in the Community.

Can you try to uninstall the app > turn off your phone > take out your SD card > turn on the phone again (without the SD card) > reinstall the app and put back your SD card to see if the issue persist?

Let us know how it goes.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Jeremy still no luck I'm afraid.

Hi again @martinjh99,

Thank you for your reply and for the troubleshooting you've done so far.

Can you check the SD card for errors and make sure that the card is formatted as external storage instead of internal?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers 🙂

JeremyModerator

@Jeremy Ran chkdsk from Windows on it said everything was fine.  Def formatted as external storage as I can read it in Windows and I have mp3 files on there which I can play using an android player.

Still not working.

Hey @martinjh99,

Thanks for keeping in touch and for the extra info.

If possible, could you try logging in to your Spotify account on another phone using the same SD card to see if there's any difference?

Also, try logging in to another account, like a friend's or relative's, on your phone with your SD card and let us know if this behavior persists. We're trying to narrow down what might be causing this, to see if it's device or account related, specially since it persists with two different SD cards.

Keep us posted. We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

@CarlosE
Unfortunately I don't have another phone or know someone with a
Spotify account to try it out.

I do know that it doesn't work on 2 different cards as I bought
another one thinking it's the same problem. The first card was
working up until the last few updates.

@CarlosE Created a new temporary Spotify free account - Still doesn't work with the SD Card but works when using local phone storage. 

If we don't need it after this you delete the **bleep** account unless I can do it myself.

If we have to rest my proper account will you be able to save certain playlists or not?

Hey @martinjh99,

Thanks for your reply.

If multiple accounts aren't working with two different SD cards in the same phone, there might be something interfering in the phone itself. Go to the phone's settings and make sure that Spotify has all permissions enabled in both the phone and the SD card.

If the issue persists, could you send us a couple of screenshots of how Your Library > Playlists looks like when the SD card is selected as the storage location, and when the phone storage is selected. This is so we can have a better understanding of what's happening exactly on your end.

On another note, if the new account is working properly, you can transfer your playlists from the affected account to the new one by following the steps in this guide. That way you won't lose any of your saved music. Then, you can close the account you won't use by following the steps in this article.

Keep us in the loop.

CarlosEModerator

Here are the shots you asked for.  Added one of the settings as at first Storage Permissions weren't enabled.  Turned on all the permissions that was on the screen rebooted phone and its still not working.

Settings.png
SD Card.png
Internal Phone Storage.png

1.st One Settings
2nd one with SD Card
3rd one without SD Card on Internal Phone Storage - No Library at all...

Hi again @martinjh99,

Thanks for getting back with the screenshots.

This is quite odd. Try inserting the SD card > select the SD card as storage in the app settings > log out > turn off your phone for a couple of minutes and turn it back on > log back in to Spotify.

Let us know if that makes any difference. We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

Still nothing showing up in the Library

Hey @martinjh99,

Thanks for the reply.

Could you please check if your SD card is marked as External storage? If it's not, the Spotify app won't read it as an actual SD card, but rather as the phone's memory and won't be able to save data directly to it.

Thanks for going through this troubleshooting with us. Since everything is being done remotely we need to check every possible solution, to figure out exactly what is causing the issue.

Cheers.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Yes it is external storage as my Android mp3 player can read
files off it. Screenshot is of Storage Choice menu,...

Hey @martinjh99,

Thanks for the reply.

In this case it might be that you're being affected by the live ongoing Issue from your OP. The team at Spotify is working on a fix for this. We don't have any official info when exactly it would be fixed, but since it's a major issue affecting a large number of users it would most likely be dealt with in the next couple of updates.

We'd recommend keeping your app up to date, so you get the new release as soon as possible.

We'll be posting here and in the Ongoing Issue thread as soon as we have official info when this will be mended.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Ok - Still following that other thread so will keep on updating
there...

Thanks you and the others for taking your time to sort through it
for me.

@Jeremy @CarlosE

Updating just now to the latest - Still not not working for me for what ever reason...

Hi again@

Thank you for your reply.

Can you try to transferring one playlist at the time from the internal to external storage to see if this somehow shakes things up?

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator

How do I do that then? Not obvious...

Suggested posts