Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Spotify Auto Plays After Pausing Android Auto

Solved!

Spotify Auto Plays After Pausing Android Auto

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Samsung Galaxy A23 5G

Operating System

Android 13

My Question or Issue

Spotify will resume playing through the phone speaker after the first few seconds following pausing via the Android Auto interface or if I turn off my car. It only happens sometimes, and I can only work around it if I pause Spotify from my phone instead of from Android Auto's interface. This issue only just started occurring recently.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @NJMike,

We've forwarded this to the relevant team here at Spotify, however, we can't confirm when it will be addressed. In the meantime, please make sure to keep the app on both devices up-to-date.

Let us know if you have other questions.

MihailYModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

16 Replies

Same issue here, since a couple of weeks Spotify resumes playing when I turn off my car and unplug my phone, except for me this happens every time, and even if I pause Spotify using the phone app. It used to turn off automatically, so I assume something is broken, not sure if it's Spotify or Android Auto. However, Spotify is the only app behaving like this, for instance Pocketcast works as before, i e turns off when the car is turned off.

Hey there folks, 

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community.

Could you let us know if this started happening after a specific event such as an update?

On another note, could you try logging out and then logging back in twice in a row? This will trigger a sync between your device and account. 

If this doesn't do the trick, it's well worth running a clean reinstall to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble.

Lastly, it's worth checking if the OS of your phones has any pending updates.

We'll be on the lookout.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Unfortunately, I do not exactly remember when this began happening, so I cannot answer that.

I will try logging out/in twice the next time I connect to AA which will be tomorrow.

I have actually clean re-installed Spotify twice, and I even did the same for AA in case that was the culprit, but neither of these had fixed it.

Yes, my OS is up to date.

I notice this problem only occurs if I release connection/control from AA, because if I pause Spotify whilst still connected, it does not resume through my phone. I have also tested this with another method using my Bluetooth earbuds by abruptly disconnecting (turning them off whilst still listening to Spotify) to ensure it wasn't an issue with Bluetooth connectivity.

My experiments appeared to have yielded to only be related to the relationship between Spotify and Android Auto, as the issue only occurs if I release control from it; my conclusion is that it must be some type of bug? I also tried removing my music widget on my lock screen, to see if it may be a bug relating to that.

I will update more soon.

Good evening, I am here to report my update as stated.

I have tried the logging in and out twice method this afternoon before heading to work. It didn't autoplay after I got out to go to work and shut my car off, however it did so when I arrived home from work and shut my car off.

Marked as solution

Hey @NJMike,

We've forwarded this to the relevant team here at Spotify, however, we can't confirm when it will be addressed. In the meantime, please make sure to keep the app on both devices up-to-date.

Let us know if you have other questions.

MihailYModerator

Hey thank you guys.

The new update appears to have fixed it; I've gone through this whole week without it happening. Here's to hoping.

So it appears I've been deceived and perhaps this update was not the one containing the fix. MihailY I know you stated that the ETA is unknown at this time, but do you know if there will be any way to check to see which update is the one containing the fix? Like will it be included within a change log of sorts?

Hey @NJMike,

Thanks for the reply.

We can't give you more info on the fix, but we recommend you to keep your app constantly updated so you don't miss it.

Hope this clears things a bit,

Cheers!

DianModerator

It's been months and still no fix...

In the mean time, anyone wanting to try a new experiment that has worked for me for 21 consecutive disengages -- unplug your phone BEFORE turning off your car. For whatever reason, this has been given me the best luck so far, as my previous record was about 11 consecutive times without autoplay after disengaging. 

And I jinxed myself yet again; this now stopped working as a work-around.

Spotify. It's been almost 3 months, and many updates over this period. I am starting to lose hope in this being fixed...

Hello, I wanted to report that a user from Reddit has stated that this issue happens with local players as well, so it's seeming to be that it is not Spotify that is the issue, but Android Auto.

This is a big worry, is this a Microsoft program?

Why is this even a problem  still after all this time?

If we hit pause that is what the phone should do! Not restart playing music 3 seconds later, what is going on here?

2009 ford falcon with bovee1000 bluetooth
when I pause Spotifi, within 3 seconds it restarts playing, 
this does not happen in our other car, 2012 mazda 3 with built in bluetooth.
Please advise if you have any suggestions why, we have tried changing the settings talked about with no change

Same issue. Been this way for months if not more. Fully updated.

Hey folks,

Apologies for the lack of updates on our end.

Can you please share the device models, OS versions and Spotify versions of the affected devices (if you haven't already), so we can forward them to the team? If anyone can share a short video of the issue, that would also greatly help!

Cheers,

MihailYModerator

Suggested posts