Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Spotify will not open after the January 31, 2024 update.

Spotify will not open after the January 31, 2024 update.

After the latest update (Version 8.9.10.616), my app refuses to open. The spotify logo appears for a second then goes black and closes a few seconds later. I tried a complete reinstall, and after reinstalling, it did the same thing. I suspect there was an issue with the update as I have tried all the troubleshooting suggestions without success. Please fix this issue soon.

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

Samsung Galaxy S8+

Operating System

Android 9

My Question or Issue

The app is completely useless after the 8.9.10.616 update, released on January, 31st, 2024.

9 Replies

Same here since latest update, according to google playstore there are several people with this issue.

Hey folks, 

Thanks for posting in the Community and welcome. 

@DizzyBlackRaven, we understand you've already tried reinstalling the app on your device, but we'd like you to perform, if you haven't yet, a clean (more thorough) reinstall of the Spotify app on your devices. You can find out the steps to do it here.

If the above doesn't do the trick, would you mind checking if you can play content on the web player on the affected device? Can you replicate this behavior on a different mobile device? It’d be awesome and helpful if you could check. You can ask for the mobile device of a relative or a friend to open your account and check.

@FiftyOne, as mentioned above, if you haven't yet, we'd suggest you perform a clean reinstall of the app on the affected device. By doing that the app can be up-to-date and you can make sure the cache is not leading to this inconvenience. You can see the steps for a clean reinstall here.

If the above doesn't do the trick, would you mind sending us the make/model and OS of the affected device along with the Spotify version you're running there? You can double-check the version on the Play store. 

Keep us in the loop! 

AlejaRModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Everything is fine with me again, gotta check if it still works when i get near download limit

Mine worked fine after the reinstall until my songs finished downloading. (I had a ton.) After that it worked for about an hour, started stuttering then closed and wouldn't open again just like before. I hope you have better luck than I did.

The web player works just fine. I did a clean reinstall the first time. Everything was fine until my songs redownloaded, then it played for about an hour before doing the exact same thing. I am confident there was an issue with the last update.

I'm running version 8.9.10.616.

My operating system is Android 9.

Device Model: Samsung Galaxy S8+

I am hesitant to try a clean reinstall again because I don't have unlimited internet, and I fear I'll be wasting data yet again for an hour long fix. But I am willing to try if you really think a second clean reinstall will help.

The new update fixed the issue. Thanks for responding. I appreciate it.

Hey folks, 

Thanks for getting back to us and letting us know. 

Great news! If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you. 

Cheers 🙂

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I'm temporarily in an area with limited service, so I had my down loads ready to go. Spinning circle. SO frustrated! I'm sitting in silence (which isn't all that bad). Tried everything, reinstalled, but I can't access my music because I have no service. Really mad.

Plan

Free

Country

USA

Device

Amazon HD 8 (7th gen)

Operating System

Spotify App was working 2 days ago - an update was available - Spotify no longer works after the update, the logo loads, stays on the screen for a few seconds then goes back to the home screen. This is not the first time an update has rendered Spotify useless! I've tried the previously suggested tricks including uninstall/reinstall, online/offline etc. It's broke AGAIN!

Suggested posts