Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

"Hey Spotify" feature can't be enabled, asks to check permissions, has permissions already.

Solved!

"Hey Spotify" feature can't be enabled, asks to check permissions, has permissions already.

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G

Operating System

Android 11

My Question or Issue

I've bee  trying to use the "Hey Spotify" feature but the option to enable it is not in the in-app settings.

The only optioms available are "Microphone permissions", "Spotify voices", and "Additional Voice Terms".

I tap "Voice Permissions" and it opens my settings, I hit Permissions and Microphone is under Allowed but has "Only while app is in use" under it. I tap Microphone and my options are "Never", "Ask Every Time", and "Only while app is in use".

If I tap the microphone in search, it hears me, but I can't enable Hey Spotify to search hands free and I don't know why. I need the hands free option for driving. How can this be fixed?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

What likely happened is that the ability to use the assistant was denied access and now there is absolutely no way to turn it back on. I came here for an answer after searching for over an hour.

My solution: Delete Spotify and reinstall it.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Hi @ashewind,

Thanks for the post.

To use the Hey SPotify command, you first need to have the app open and tap the microphone icon. Then you should see the Now Playing View change, after that you should be able to use other commands.

1. Tap Search .
  2. Tap the microphone .
  3. Give Spotify permission to record audio or access your microphone. ("Only while app is in use").

Now just say “Hey Spotify” (when the app is open and on your screen) to ask for music and podcasts, control what plays, and more. 

Let us know if it works like that for you.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!
Marked as solution

What likely happened is that the ability to use the assistant was denied access and now there is absolutely no way to turn it back on. I came here for an answer after searching for over an hour.

My solution: Delete Spotify and reinstall it.

Never mind on that solution if you have it on your phone. You need to locate and delete the saved settings for Spotify somewhere on the phone, because it asked me for none of the permissions that would grant access to Hey Spotify, though it did re-establish those for bluetooth devices. <shrug>

Suggested posts