Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

"Up Next" or Queue Not Matching List of Songs In Radios

"Up Next" or Queue Not Matching List of Songs In Radios

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G

Operating System

Android v11.0, One UI v3.1

My Question or Issue

Radios used to have a queue that played the songs in the list in order. While "Liked Songs" and other playlists keep the queue, the radios' queue has been replaced with an "Up Next" feature. This "Up Next" feature completely disregards the list of songs displayed on the radio. Sometimes the "Up Next" feature puts songs that don't match the environment of the radio. I can click different songs throughout the radio and it will give me a new set of songs that still don't match the list on the radio. It throws me off and annoys me. I enjoy listening to songs in an order I can manipulate but this "Up Next" feature just throws that out the window. The only way to listen to the radio in order is to add it to my queue. From there, I would have to select a song outside of the radio and then skip it to play the list of songs in the queue. It is also annoying that song radios don't contain the song that the radio is based on. Sometimes it's is there, and the next second it is gone.

Screenshot_20211127-143159_Spotify.jpg
Screenshot_20211127-143220_Spotify.jpg
16 Replies

Hey there @RoyalB4NDIT,

Thanks for reporting this issue. I hadn't noticed this radio behavior recently, so I just tested it on my own Android device, and sure enough it's doing exactly what you described. Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be a way to force the playlist to play in the order initially displayed; I have noticed, however, that if I start listening to the playlist, open the now playing section, and then tap on the title of the playlist, e.g.' "[artist or song] radio", it seems to pretty consistently fix the display of the playlist to match the "up next" section. That said, I've also noticed that selecting another song on the playlist starts the process over.

We'll keep an eye on the community to see if this starts to show up for more users and go from there. In the meantime, could you also please let us know what version of Spotify you are currently running? You can find this in Spotify's settings menu.

Finally, I'd recommend trying a clean reinstall as this can sometimes resolve issues that pop up.

EDIT: I just wanted to add that I also just discovered that in the "up next" section, you can tap on the three dots menu next to one of the songs, and the context menu includes an option to "go to queue." You can then use this to reorder the upcoming tracks. Still doesn't solve the issue of the playlist not matching the queue, but since you'd mentioned that you like being able to manipulate the order of songs, I thought I'd bring that up. Thanks again!

dinomightSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I am using Spotify version 8.6.82.1113. I noticed this problem in the previous version. I checked the Google Play Store to see there was an update needed. There happened to be one but after updating, the problem still persisted. I tried a clean reinstall as well, but no changes were found. 

I have the same issue, it's incredibly annoying and just ruins the whole concept of Radio. Any news on that issue ?

This is happening to me too, on my Android device only- on the desktop version, it plays the songs listed in the playlist, but on Android I get the "Up Next". Has been happening for a little over a month.

Not sure if this is related but I used to be able to download a song radio and now that option is gone on my phone, but still available on desktop.

Hey @BananaMary,

Thanks for the post.

Could you let us know what happens if you start a song radio on your Desktop and switch over to your phone via Spotify Connect?

Does your phone play the songs from the Desktop queue.

Keep us posted on this.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I have exact same issue it's so awful and annoying ,i can't listen to new songs anymore because it keep bringing my own songs from my playlists into the up next part and playing those 

Please make it like how it was before ,it's so frustrating to use spotify now 

I've tried many versions up to months old and they all had the same issue .

Hey there @navidspotiy,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community.

What you're describing sounds a bit different, and there's currently this Live Idea about it. You can add your support there by up-voting the idea. We'll inform on any developments there, as soon as there are any, so make sure to Subscribe, if you haven't already.

Hope you find this useful. The Community is here for you in case you have any questions.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi Alex,

Thanks for looking into this. No, if I switch to my phone, it begins playing the phone queue.

I also tried advancing to the next song from the desktop interface while playing the music on my phone, and it plays the next song in the phone queue

I also tried advancing to the next song from the phone interface while playing the music on my desktop, and it plays the next song in the desktop queue, which is reflected on the desktop, but the phone says I am playing the next song in the phone queue (see images below)

The song actually playing out of the computer is How I Fear, but the phone says I am playing Superego, which is the 4th song in the desktop radio but 2nd in the phone queue

Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 9.40.40 AM.pngScreenshot_20220103-094059.jpg

One clarification- when I say "advance to the next song" I mean I am jumping forward within the song using the little time bar, and the letting the song finish/advance to the next song naturally, not skipping ahead using the buttons. When the phone and desktop are out of sync (phone says I am playing a different song than the desktop is actually playing), skipping to the next song from the phone stops working (nothing happens to the music playing out of the computer when I click the button), but clicking pause on the phone does pause the music coming out of the computer. 

Hi @BananaMary,

Thank you for keeping in touch and sharing that detailed information. 

All those tests helped us narrow down the issue to your phone. Could you start by reinstalling the app with these specific steps? They are more thorough than a regular reinstall and will ensure you remove any leftover data.  

If the issue persists after this, can you log in with another account, such as a friend's or a family member's to see if that makes a difference?

Keep us posted.

MafeGModerator

The deeper uninstall worked! For others who find this article in the future, I'd previously uninstalled the normal way and it did not resolve the issue, but clearing the cache and data did it.

Hey @BananaMary,

Thanks for letting us know that everything is working fine now.

Remember to always keep your app updated, so you don't miss any fixes or new features. Don't hesitate to give us a shout if you have more questions.

Have a great day!

MafeGModerator

I'm having the same issues. Seems to have started around December 2022. Happens with "Song Radios" and "Artist Radios". I generate a playlist, for example, "The Beatles Radio" and I see a big playlist of songs, I play the first song and the go and check my "Up Next" queue and its a totally different order of songs. It very reproducible and happens every time when I'm using the cast feature to a Google device. Not so much when using Bluetooth.

I've also noticed the random reordering of songs mentioned above. You can it see it happen sometimes.

I've tried clean installs, logging in and out hundreds of times, re-linking Spotify in Google, restarting devices, updates, firmwares, internet connection, clearing caches, turning shuffle on and off in various locations... etc.

My current workaround is to create a "Song/Artist Radio" and immediately add the whole radio to a personal playlist and then just play that playlist. Keeps the order permanently intact.

Hey there @Draumo,

Thanks for the post.

I'd suggest you try doing the clean reinstall, as BananaMary has said that it helped them.

If that doesn't work, please check the following:

• Make sure your Play Queue is cleared before playing music. You can clear it by clicking the Queue button > Clear queue. This option should be available on Desktop and Mobile.
  • Make sure that Enhance is switched off. This button will appear on top of your playlist. If it's turned on (green) it will automatically add similar songs to your playlist.
  • Make sure Shuffle is turned off.

Hope this helps.

AlexModerator

Hey, I am getting the same thing on the Chrome Web App on Windows now.

It also occurs a lot on my Chromecast too with the Android App.

Have tried a clean install and it hasn't helped.

Hey @itzhayleyuk,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

Did you check what @Alex mentioned earlier in this thread? If not, we'd suggest you take a look at the reply and make sure you follow the steps.

On another note, does the issue occur with a different account on your devices?

We'll be on the lookout. 

LyubkaModerator

Suggested posts