Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

[All Platforms][Other] Change profile URL of old accounts

I really appreciate Spotify allowing you to change your display name.

I get that the username is used as ID, so this is a good solution if it weren't for one thing: The URL of your profile.

If you created an account before your username started being random letters and numbers, it will continue to show your username.

So if you were to change your display name to be something else, whatever you named yourself might show up on playlists and what not, but the old username will continue to follow you in the URL.

And I get you can't simply change the URLs to be the same as the display name, since from what I've seen, you can have identical display names, and that would get messy.

So I think it would only be fair that if on request, your URL can be changed to something else.

Maybe put a limit on it, so it can't be done frequently.

I think that would just be great for everyone who feels like completely getting rid of old names they're embarrassed of and what not.

**bleep**, I would be fine even if the URL just followed the same random number and letter formula.

Just give us the option to do it at least.

It would just be helpful and make the whole name changing thing as good as it can be.

Comments
osornios
Status changed to: Up for Votes

Updated on 2020-07-01

Marked as new idea.

Please check this related Idea:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Implemented-Ideas/Account-Change-Username/idi-p/703799

Terrantino

Hello to everyone who voted on this thread: 

There are at least 12 other threads in this community that ask for this same feature, but Spotify won't compile them.  Added up, we already have 43 votes!!!

For us to get traction on this request, however, we need to compile our votes into one post.  

I have created a New Idea topic at the link below - can you please add your votes to it?

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/All-Platforms-Social-Vanity-Url-custom-link-to-pro...

Thanks in advance!

In Solidarity,

Terrance

wildermay

I know you can change your display name on Spotify but you can’t change your actual username. Can you please add this feature as it will be more inclusive for the trans community. As it is now, anyone that finds my Spotify account can share/copy the link to see my original username with has my deadname (name assigned at birth) in it. This is a huge invasion of privacy. At some point I’d like to put music on your platform but I cant if I know people can go and see my deadname. Thank you.

this is exactly my issue too, having my full entire deadname as my url and not being able to change it is uhhhh frustrating to say the least.

Jose_M
Status changed to: Closed - Not Enough Votes

Updated on 2021-03-23

Hello @Monica1213!

It looks like your idea was posted a while ago but, unfortunately, it hasn't gathered the minimum amount of votes to stay active in the Ideas Exchange (50 votes in the first 3 months). I'll mark your idea as "Closed - Not Enough Votes". You can learn more on how the Ideas Exchange works here.

Have a nice day 🙂

thisisnotme

Please make it posible for us to change the account username, it would help the people who have accidentally made a mistake on their username, or the ones who have been usung spotify for years and the username they chose doesn’t align with who they are now. The ability to change the display name could be gone if we just could change our usernames. PLEASE LET US CHANGE OUR USERNAMES IN A NEW UPDATE

I've suffered for a long time with this username that you can't change, spotify always says that no one sees but you can see it through my profile link, if I share my profile link, the username will be there. I have difficulty because my username was created years ago and I am transgender, meaning I have another name now. I can't share my profile because it has my old username on the username. Please, it's such a simple thing and you refuse to fix it. HELP

HUMEAIMART

Hi Everyone,

I have just be live chatting with someone at spotify because I was under the impression the URL of a new account would eventually feature the display name I signed up with like my 10+ year old account was. After a lot of back and forth and confusion from both sides I discovered that at some point in the last 10 years they stopped doing the display name as url and now use random letters and numbers.

I personally would like to have a name (the new account is for my brand and not personal), but I understand how some would appreciate the letter and numbers, and I also appreciate the fact that you shouldn't have to create a whole new account to gain this type of privacy (a problem faced by old skool users).

Anyway, all this to say that I think people should start tweeting and live chatting them regularly about this issue.

They say you can't change your URL because its an "I.D", but why is it so easy for other sites who are just as big as Spotify (i.e instagram, meta, pixels.com) to change your URL when you change your name.

The fact that they even change it from personal names to an assortment letters and numbers let's us know that change in this department is possible. I understand they probably don't want people changing their URL on a regular basis, but like someone else suggested, why not allow a limit – say 2-3 per year?

This allows those who have the numbers and letters to personalize and those who created an account long before the letters and numbers things to not be subjected to looking at a name they no longer associated with, for whatever reasons, by it gender identity or general identity i.e growing up and no longer feeling sk8erkidOPM182 (not my actual username, but just an example – imagine being in your 30's and sending a link out containing that name to other grown adults? No thankyou!)

So again, Friends – don't just vote here. Harass Spotify everywhere you can and tell you friends and family to do the same until someone at their HQ understands that being able to customs the URL of a page associated with you is standard procedure ESPECIALLY in 2021/2022.... Can you imagine how Spotify would if Instagram, Meta and Twitter told them they could no longer have Spotify in the profile link and instead they had to direct their customers to: "/nidafho98r3883732hbqbiowar83289y3852y9424805749035iranfksdklgh3488t3jiwngv34ut9i...

I highly doubt they would be impressed! They may accept it if there is no other option, but I definitely do not think they would like that at all.

End of rant

#harassspotifyaboutcustomizingurluntilwecancustomizeoururls 

Warmest regards,

HUMEAIMART

pzhaider

We should be able to change our usernames on spotify, and not only our display names. The absence of this feature is harmful to people who have changed their names for whatever reason. I find it especially contradictory because spotify has made pride playlists but won't let trans people change their usernames.

Luan
Status changed to: Case Closed

Updated on 2022-01-20

Hey! Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange.
We've been keeping an eye on this submission for an extended period of time, and it doesn't seem this will reach the votes necessary to put it forward for prioritization.
As such, we're marking this case as closed. This includes any similar suggestions that are received.

If we do have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

More information about it can be found here.

Thanks for your comprehension!