Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Carplay Default screen

Carplay Default screen

Every time I connect my phone to carplay, it defaults to the music selection menu.  Then when I push the "Now Playing" button, an animation plays, but it still goes back to the menu again.  I have to push it again to get to the Now Playing screen showing the current song playing.  Shouldn't this be the default screen?  What's the point of Spotify Connect if they're having you pick a new song every time I get into the car? 

27 Replies

Hi @derrickbarnes3,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community! We've moved your post to the Help board as it's more relevant.

Could you let us know the following:

• your device's model and the version of your operating system.
  • the version of your Spotify app.

Feel free to also share what troubleshooting steps you've tried so far so we avoid repeating them. In case you haven't already, try performing a clean reinstall of the app.

It'd be very helpful if you could send us a screen recording of what happens when you connect your phone to CarPlay, so we can have a clear understanding of the issue. Just attach it to your reply.

Keep us posted on this.

Cheers!

YordanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I am not the original poster, but I am having the same problem. I am attaching a video to illustrate it. I am on ios15 using an iPhone 12 mini. This problem started after I updated to ios15. Spotify won't let me upload my video thanks to size limits, but here is a link: https://youtu.be/3tsiUOcaYNA

Hey there @Quippley,

Thanks for your post and video on the subject 🙂

This could be connected to this recent update of your iOS, as you mention. However we'd like to collect some more info if possible to get the full picture. Could we ask you to provide us with the complete info that @Yordan has requested form @derrickbarnes3 as well? These details are needed, so we can investigate this matter further.

Keep us posted, we'll be on the lookout for your reply.

Kiril Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

I have an iPhone 12 mini on ios15.2.1 using Spotify 8.6.98.

I have performed a clean reinstall of the Spotify app as well and problem persists.

Hi @Quippley,

Thank you for keeping in touch.

By any chance, do you or a friend have a non iOS 15 iPhone to check this with? If it works regularly, it might be something with iOS 15 and CarPlay, which we can't influence too much as both are developed and maintained by Apple and our app only interfaces with CarPlay via an API.

Please let us know if you're able to test this to keep assisting you. 

We'll be on the lookout.

MafeGModerator

Hello,

i have the same problem with my IPhone 12 pro and my Mini Cooper.

I tried on a different Mini and still have the same problem. I also tried with the IPhone 11 of my wife and same problem too.

Spotify/sofware cars/IOS got the last updates. 

Hey @CarlitoKint,

Thanks for the post.

In order to look into this issue further, could you record a video when this happens. You can add it as an attachment to your reply or a link to an external video sharing platform.

Also, let us know the following:

• Device model, OS version
  • Spotify version

This information will help us investigate what might be causing this issue 🙂

Looking forward to your reply.

AlexModerator

Hi,

There is the video : https://we.tl/t-Qsq4kbRA6v

I have an IPhone 12 Pro, IOS 15.3.

My spotify version is 8.6.98.1447.

have a nice day 

Hi @CarlitoKint,

Thank you for your reply and sharing all that information.

Just to make sure, the iPhone 11 you tested this with is also iOS 15? By any chance do you have the possibility to test with an iPhone with iOS below 15? 

This can greatly help us narrow down this issue.

Keep us posted.

MafeGModerator

Yes it was an IPhone with IOS15 too. I can try to downgrade my Iphone for the test but I bought my car in June 2021, my IPhone 12 Pro on February 2021 and at the beginning I didn’t have this problem.

Same issue here with a 2019 Honda CRV and iPhone 11 with IOS 15.3

Hi there @Danman34,

Thank you for your reply and for the troubleshooting 🙂

We'll be on the lookout on how everything worked with a lower iOS in this period of time.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I experience this issue on iOS 15.3.1 (iPhone 12) as well. It's been occurring even since the early iOS 15 beta builds.

I can also confirm that it is not a problem with any other music app, it's definitely Spotify-related behaviour. YouTube Music, TiDAL, Deezer, Apple Music, they all work just fine when navigating to the Now Playing screen.

This issue also occurs on both my Subaru Impreza 2018 head unit, and my new Sony XAV-AX5000 head unit.

Hi @mchonedog,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

We've checked this backstage and the right team has been informed. However, we can say when or if this will me fixed. Rest assured that we're always trying to improve as we always strive to improve our features.

Let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I have been experiencing the same problem using Spotify on Apple CarPlay with my iPhone 12 Pro Max. The problem first popped up when iOS 15 was released and has persisted through the latest version iOS 15.3.1. I have reinstalled Spotify twice now and am on the latest Spotify version 8.7.10 with the problem still occurring. 

I use Apple CarPlay via a lighting connection on a Pioneer AVH-2330NEX head unit, which has the latest software installed. I also wanted to mention that using other music apps such as Apple Music does not make the same problem occur. 

Hello,

Same problem here :
iPhone 12 Pro Max with iOS 15.4

Spotify 8.7.12.1688

Car: VW Golf 8 (MJ 2021) using wireless Carplay

I can also confirm that only Spotify shows this behaviour.

Other streaming services doesn't have that pesky issue of not showing the "now playing screen" and constantly "forgetting" the last active playlist.

After restarting the car and hence Carplay the Spotify app just continues to play the last active track and seems also to internally still using the proper last playlist - but the Carplay Spotify app only shows the main menu without the possibility to get back into the active playlist.

Also the "now playing screen" does not appear and the "symbol" for it to show off that screen must be pressed serveral times until the screen finally stays on top - some animation seems to be played each time pressing that symbol but it keeps reverting back to the main menu.

I know and read of a lot of other Spotify Carplay users from different user forums that also suffer from that behaviour.

This really forces me to use Apple Music instead of Spotify in my car because in this current state Spotify's Carplay app is not very intuitve to use and distracts heavily from the traffic.

Cheers!

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

IPhone 13 pro

Operating System

iOS 15.x

My Question or Issue

using apple CarPlay, when switching back to Spotify, if on any other screen within the app, hitting the “now playing” icon, the now playing screen will flash in for a moment, then go right back to the previous screen. Hitting the button again will result in actually getting the now playing screen. 
this happens 100% of the time. 

Same thing happens for me and is extremely irritating! Been going on for over a year. Happened with both iphone 11 pro in jeep and iphone 13 pro in new mazda. Wasnt so bad in the jeep because it had a touch screen but mazdas dont have touch screens so the double click process is very tedious now. Recent update got rid of quick access to liked songs .. now its hidden inside playlists folder so thats another inconvenience added to the list 

Hey folks,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and for sharing this information.

To keep investigating this further, would you mind recording a short video where we can take a better look at the issue? 

You can attach it to your next response by using the Insert Video option in the post editor. You can also upload it to Google Drive and share the link with us. Make sure the video has the permission for anyone to see it.

We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator

Suggested posts