Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Spotify Alexa skill does not work on Echo devices at all

Spotify Alexa skill does not work on Echo devices at all

For months I have been using Spotify as my default music provider for my Echo/Alexa devices using the Spotify skill, and whilst it was pretty tempramental (such as sometimes not playing songs, playing the wrong song occasionally etc.) it was at least functional.

However, as of today I have acquired an Echo Dot and linked it to my Amazon account, and the Spotify skill seems to have completely stopped working. Asking the echo to play any song just ignores my settings and plays it through Amazon Music instead, and if I specify "on spotify" at the end it will just say that it can't find the song on Spotify. I have also tried relinking my Spotify account to no avail.
27 Replies

Hi @ninjinskie,

Thanks for posting this thread and for the provided details! It helps us get a better understanding of the situation.

Sometimes corrupted cache can cause different performance issues and it's a good idea to start with clearing the cache within the app

Also, if you've not done this already, make sure that Spotify is set as the default player. You can check out this help article.

Lastly, remove the app permission for Alexa on Spotify through the account page > Manage apps and then to re-add it, simply log back in to Alexa.

Keep us posted on how it goes 🙂

IvelinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Replying to this thread (https://community.spotify.com/t5/Other-Podcasts-Partners-etc/Alexa-won-t-play-Spotify/td-p/5526032/p...) cause it won't let me and I can't find anywhere else to reply. If it will actually make a difference, I will make a new thread but I feel like my own threads never get seen. 

Some time this year, Spotify stopped connecting to my Echo Show. My Echo Show will play other music services. I can also connect my Echo Show to my phone via Bluetooth and listen to Spotify that way. But I cannot tap on my Echo Show or speak *any* commands (including the suggestion of speaking the command with the Echo Show's name) to make it play Spotify. It says "now playing {insert whatever I asked it to play}", and then the screen stays black. I did all the recommended steps. I ensured my app is up to date, I cleared my cache on my iPhone 13 Pro, I unlinked the skill and revoked permission - then re-added the skill and re-granted permission, and ensure Spotify is set as the default player for everything. What can be done to fix this? Thanks.

Plan

Premium

Country

Ireland (indifferent)

Device

Various (indifferent)

Operating System

Various (indifferent)

My Question or Issue

Alexa integration works only for a few hrs,then the skill needs to be disabled and enabled again. It reauthenticates in the app (ios) and start to works agin for the next few hrs. Then skill have to disabled/enabled again for authenticarion. And again. And again.

No,it's not an amazon/alexa issue,it's the issue with the poorly written skill by spotify,so we can skip the part when you point to others

Daily up

These steps were already done. Also,the cache "issue" (hello,it's the 21st century where automated cache handling is expected) not answering the root cause. How the cache is related with the available devices and if it's cache related (clearly not) why just a approx 3/4 of the devices affected.

so,let's skip the basics and resolve the issue (not expected to be honest as the alexa skill always was a useless piece of code,now just getting worst)

"

Lastly, remove the app permission for Alexa on Spotify through the account page > Manage appsand then to re-add it, simply log back in to Alexa."

that's exactly what the disabling and enabling skill does so that's not the solution but the current problem

up. that would be lovely if the "support" starts to do its job and provide some support

Any update??

Just here to say I’m having the same problems and they started maybe 2 weeks ago. 

Any update? Like ever?

Any update?? That's quite funny seeing Spotify running without any support at all. They are good to take the money but that's all.

i'm looking for a working support as it's a mandatory,law driven requirement in the EU

same issue! it suddenly not working this week. But before it's working fine. Do we have recent updates? is this a Spotify thing? or should we report this on Alexa?

Btw, I'm using Alexa Echo Show 5 (2nd Gen)

Hey there folks,

Thanks for reaching out on the Community!

@waces - Just to check, are you able to continuously play via Connect if you start playback directly from your phone? Also, it would be great if you could try a factory reset of your Alexa. This will reset any saved settings that may interfere. Once it's done, you can re-link your account by following the steps here.

@Fixyourapppleasety & @lorddashme - To make sure we get a better understanding of what's happening, do you too need to re-link Alexa after a few hours of playback? Does it only occur when starting playback from Alexa directly or when using a mobile device too?

Feel free to let us know if you've tried any other troubleshooting so far, as it'll help us avoid repeating any steps.

We'll keep an eye out for your replies!

MariaModerator

Same issue here on an Echo Show 5 2nd gen and even a brand new Echo Show 5 3rd gen that I only received today. Echo Dots 3rd and 4th gens connect perfectly fine. I've done all the steps that have been mentioned in other posts (unlink, relink, restart, clear cache etc) but it's not an issue for other Echos, just the shows so it's not a purely Amazon/Spotify issue, it's specific to Shows. 

Please sort this out. I feel like I've just wasted money buying this new device if it won't even work the way I want!

Edited to add - the Echo Show works perfectly fine with Amazon Music so this is purely a Spotify to Show issue. 

If you read my original post you should know the answer but let me write it down again:

To start the playback from a phone it requires authentication via the poorly written (by spotify) skill. As soon as the authentication is done it works for a while but not longer than 24/48 hrs. Or if the device connected temporarily to another bluetooth device (afterwards the authentication is required even the alexa devices are not connected via bluetooth for obvious reasons)

alexa factory reset was done even it has literally nothing to do with spotify authentication. I know it's easier to push the problem to others but it's the issue with the skill (it's like cannot store the authentication token and that's why ask for authentication over and over again)

so still looking for _answer_ and _resolution_

I'm with roadie here. A factory reset doesn't help and you're trying to pass the blame to others. Please just take ownership of looking in to this. It's your skill and it's not interacting with Echo shows In the way it should. 

Hey @waces and @raychmayte,

Thanks for taking your time to keep us posted on this!

Rest assured that we’re here to help. As we’re unable to reproduce the issue on our end, however, it makes this behavior trickier to troubleshoot, as it depends on individual set-ups.

To get a better view of what's happening and look into this further, we would need additional details from you. Could you let us know:

• If this only happens on Echo Show devices, and do you have multiple Show devices? Exact device model(s) would be great to know.
  • Do you have other Echo devices, such as Dots, where you're not experiencing similar behavior?
  • When trying to reconnect the speaker, does it appear in the app's device list? Are you able to reconnect using voice commands?
  • If it just happens with Connect (using another device to control playback) - are you using a mobile device or PC, and are you using the app or the Web Player?
  • Is anyone else using the same Alexa devices within your household?

If you've noticed that this happens at any specific points, or after completing a particular action, a detailed explanation on what's happening from your end, which may help us follow the steps you're taking when this issue occurs, would be appreciated.

Keep us in the loop - We'll be on the lookout!

MariaModerator

It's only for echo dots (my google nest on the same network never showed the symptoms)
When i try to reconnect it shows the devices as "waiting for network" state (grayed out). After the amazon skill is disabled and then reenabled the authentication performs again and all the devices shows as available.
Voice commands works but that's not the expected solution,also voice commands doesn't uses the amazon spotify skill.
The issue exists on both the desktop and the mobile app as well as in the web player. After the skill reauthentication it disappears from both.

Hi Maria,

Answers to all your points are below.

• I had an Echo Show 2nd gen which I’ve just traded in for an Echo Show 3rd gen. The issue happened on both models
  • I have 2 Echo Dot 3rd gen and 1 Echo Dot 4th gen that this issue does not occur on
  • The device shows in Spotify’s device list (and the Amazon Alexa app device list) however, when selected, does not play. It also does not play via voice commands
  • I predominantly use a Samsung S22 but have just tried the web player to connect and it’s the exact same issue. On the app after I select the speaker, it says connecting… and then shows the speaker name in green but doesn’t play. On the web player, it shows ‘playing on Logos’ (the name of the speaker) but doesn’t play
  • The only users connected to the devices are me but my partner does use it via my account (no secondary users connected)
  • It’s not at any specific point, it’s at every interaction.

Thanks

Suggested posts