Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Why can't my premium account use Spotify Connect, but other accounts can?

Why can't my premium account use Spotify Connect, but other accounts can?

Hi,

I’m experiencing issues with my old premium Spotify account when trying to use Spotify Connect. I can see the speakers/devices on the same network, but I’m unable to connect. I’ve tried using multiple phones, but the issue persists. Additionally, if I’m connected with another account and then try to connect from my account, it pauses the device that is currently playing.

Here’s what I’ve tried so far:
- Logged out of all devices.
- Disconnected all apps linked to the account, including Sonos.
- Tested with a different premium account on the same devices, and that worked without any issues.

How can I resolve this problem?

/Sara

5 Replies

Hey @grupperadevelopment,

Thanks for your question and for sharing what troubleshooting you have tried so far.

Can you try restarting your router to see if that makes a difference for you?

We'd also recommend giving this a try on a different network, for example you can start a hotspot of your phone and use that network.

If the issue persists, and everything works well on a new account, you can transfer your playlists and the artists/users you follow there by following the steps in this article. Don't forget to cancel your Premium and re-subscribe on the new one if you want to enjoy Premium.

Hope this info helps!

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Elena,

I have restarted the router as well as the APs a couple of times, I also tried on a different network with no luck. I would prefer to keep this account and not make a new one. The account has been part of a family account before but are now a stand alone account.

Do you have any records of others having the same issue or similar problems?

Best regards,

Sara

Hey @grupperadevelopment,

Thank you for keeping in contact.

At the moment, we don't have additional reports from users mentioning this issue. So, to continue investigating this, it would also be great if you could have someone log in with their account on your device - such as a friend or a family member, to see if the issue persists. This will help us understand if it could be account-related or not.

Also, and if possible, could you test this using a different speaker to see if it makes any difference?

Lastly, include in your next response the make, model, and OS version of your device, along with the Spotify version you're currently running to continue investigating the case.

We'll be on the lookout. 

OscarDCModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Hi Oscar,
I have made some more investigation. When using the iPad with another account everything is working fine.
Info:

iPad 5th gen
OS v. 16.7.10
Spotify v. 8.9.82
Speaker system: Sonos (old and new devices)

Sony Xperia 5 III
Spotify v. 8.9.80.581
Speaker system Sonos

I have tried on a different network with both devices. I did a reset to my newest speaker (sonos Roam) and connected it to a different network that I set up as well, unfortunately I do not have any other brands to try with.
I don't know if the connect has ever worked on the account as this is the first time I wish to use the feature. The account has been part of a family account and are now a stand alone premium account.

When a different account is signed in on the devices everything is working as it should, and on a different network. 

To clarify, I have tried everything above with a different Premium account, and then there is no issue. 

It seems like I might have to take the route of creating a new account to get this working.
Have a great weekend!
/Sara

Hey Sara,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop here!

What you can try here is relinking the account in the Sonos app, just to make sure we cover all bases. You can do this by following these steps:

1. Open the Sonos app.
  2. Tap Settings, then Services & Voice.
  3. Under Music & Content, select Spotify.
  4. Tap Remove Account.
  5. Once it's done, tap Add a service.
  6. Select Spotify, then Add to Sonos.
  7. Log in to your Spotify account.

Also, keep in mind that when you're using Connect, it will sometimes only work with the account that's currently connected to the speaker(s). This may depend on the speaker model and the current setup, however. 

So, if there's a chance that your account is not the main account linked to the speaker (which may happen if you're multiple Spotify users within the same household), you first need to give a voice command for the speaker to sync with your account. For example, if you're using Alexa on your Sonos, you can try "Alexa, Spotify Connect", after which you should be able to select that device in your Spotify app.

Shouldn't this do the trick, however, the best option in this case is to create a new Spotify account. You can also save all your music on the new account by following the link posted in the reply from @Elena.

Feel free to let us know how it works out 🙂

Take care @grupperadevelopment

MariaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Suggested posts