Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

App crashes at startup (tried every fix mentioned online)

App crashes at startup (tried every fix mentioned online)

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

Samsung Galaxy S8

Operating System

Oreo 8.0.0

My Question or Issue

Hi all! Soooooooo, I haven't been able to use my Spotify app on my phone at all. At. All. For almost two weeks at this point. Here's the deal: One day, I'm using the app just fine. The next day, when I tap to open it, it opens for a split second, then immediately exits back to my home screen. No error message. It just exits. I don't even have a chance to tap on anything in the app.

I've tried every fix that's ever been listed online anywhere: I've cleared the cache, cleared the data, uninstalled, rebooted, gone through every single file in my phone to make sure that there aren't any bits left over, reinstalled, checked for viruses, made sure the app isn't being affected by either power-saving mode or data-saving mode, signed off of any connected devices, prayed to several deities.... Nothing helps. I don't use an SD card, so I can't really reformat anything.

The farthest I get is the sign-in screen if I've done a reinstall or a data/cache clear. As soon as I try to sign in by any means, it says it's signing in, gives the blank gray screen for a second, and exits.

Oddly enough, the only way the app ever stays open is if I'm in airplane mode. And even then, I can't access any of my downloaded songs or playlists. If I open the app in airplane mode and then turn airplane mode off, the app crashes.

My desktop app works just fine, so I know it isn't an issue with my account. I drive Uber, and as all of my Uber playlists are through Spotify, it's a REAL bummer that I can't use it. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

22 Replies

Hey @OhLookAGreenCat, help's arrived. 

It sounds like you've tried a couple of things already, but let's try some more troubleshooting. If we understand you correctly, you can use your account on other devices, but the app crashes after the login page on your phone. It may be caused by a verification issue between your account and the app on your device since you can log in on Airplane Mode.

First up, use a different network connection to see if it works better. Also make sure you're not using any VPN connection. 

Then, remove all your offline devices from your account page and try again.

Double-check that any power-saving mode is disabled for Spotify from the phone's settings. 

Finally, can you reset your password and use the new password to log in? Make sure to use your email address and the new password when you log in. 

Let us know how it goes, and if possible, send us a screen recording of what happens and we'll have a closer look. 

Keep us posted! 🙂

Hi Jemi! Thanks so much for the reply. As I stated in the original post, I made sure to disable power-saving mode for the app, and I already signed out of any offline devices. I'm not using a VPN on my phone, and changing my network doesn't do anything. Tried the password reset, and still nothing. I'm not quite sure how to send a screen recording of what happens.

Hi @Jemi! I was just wondering if there had been any chance to look into this yet. My app still isn't working,  and I'd really love to be able to use Spotify on my phone again. Thanks!

Hey @OhLookAGreenCat

Let's try some other things. Make sure you don't have any other apps running in the background when opening Spotify and see if it makes a difference. 

Also, remove any apps or services that Spotify may be connected with or affected by.

Make sure your OS is up-to-date. 

Lastly, and if possible, ask a friend to log in with their account on your device to see if it helps. 

Thanks! 

Hi Jemi!

I've tried all of these suggestions, and still no luck whatsoever. No apps are running in the background. I've removed any apps that might affect Spotify. My OS is completely up-to-date. I can't sign in with another account in the first place, because the app exits before I can try to type in the email or password.

At this point, I'm considering ending my premium account. I can't justify paying for something I can't use when I need it the most. (I know it isn't your fault, Jemi. I'm just REALLY frustrated.)

Same thing just happened to me today using Android 8.0.0 on my LG V20, Model VS995. Working fine one moment, then next moment when I try opening the app it starts the log process, then freezes for a couple seconds, then returns to my home screen.

No chance to enter user name/password. I can use Spotify on my laptop, Alexa, chromebook, iphone. Only problem is on the V20. Spotify version is 8.5.44.941, last updated Feb 6, 2020. I've used the app since that update with no issues.

I have reinstalled, done a clean reinstall after deleting cache and data, disconnected all offline devices, ensured power saving doesn't apply to Spotify, and made sure data isn't limited for Spotify if I'm approaching a limit (which I am not, I hae 84% of my data plan left). I have tried different WiFi. I have tried data plan only (no WiFi). I am not using a VPN. Using data rather than WiFi doesn't help. I've ensured no apps are running in the background. I've deleted all cache, hard rebooted several times.

Toggling Airplane mode makes no difference. However, just like Potatofarmer, I CAN open the app on my V20 phone if I long "hold" the Spotify icon until playlists are displayed. If I select a playlist, I can open the app.

My OS is up to date for this device.

Happened out of the blue. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Just noticed I'm using Oreo 8.0. just like OhLookAGreenCat. Wonder if that's a commonality between all of us?

Having the same problem, it started to happen just recently after a playlist finished downloading, any solution?

Same thing started happening on my phone tonight. I tried every suggestion here, no luck. My phone is completely up to date. Hoping this is just a glitch that will be fixed soon...

I've been having this same problem for the past three days. It works fine on my computer, but whenever I try it on my phone, it immediately crashes. I've tried clearing the cache and data, uninstalling and reinstalling, everything; nothing has worked. I can't do anything at all, it just freezes and immediately dies again. This is really disappointing and irritating.

Exact same issue for me, the ap crashes whenever I click "home" and then refuses to open properly again unless I uninstall and re-install. Once I do that I can quickly hit "settings" which stops it from crashing somehow, and then I can access my library, but I still cannot reach my home page or else it crashes again and I'm back to where I started. How has this not been patched yet, it's horrific. 

I just tried to open Spotify and it magically worked. Fingers crossed it keeps working now.

I am having the same issue on a Samsung Galaxy Note 8, so I thought I should sign up for the Beta testing of the app, and everything works just fine.

Perhaps the next update will have this fixed, so there goes hoping!

Same here Android 10 on Pixel 2 XL. If you tap and hold the Spotify icon and choose a playlist it starts. So no need to uninstall and reinstall

Hey guys! I just had that problem and I fixed it by updating the app. I set my apps to not update automatically on google play, so I went there and updated it manually. Now it is working fine again. Hope this works!

Hi,

I recently updated my S9 to the latest Android Version:

G960FXXU7DTAA/G960FODX7DTAB/G960FXXU7DTAA.

Now the App also doesnt start anymore.

Using Spotify Version: 8.5.47.1006

I’m having the same issue on an iPhone 6s. Quite frankly it seems Spotify isn’t giving a lot of people support with this issue. If that’s the case then I’m going to have to cancel my subscription unless this issue is resolved by the next pay period. It’s quite clear the issue isn’t our phone models because there’s different brands and models listed in this thread. This is an issue with Spotify, and I simply won’t pay for a service when I’m not receiving any assistance with the issue and when I’m not able to access the service I’m paying for. 

Hey,
I’ve just seen you posted this a few minutes ago and mine literally just crashed about 20 minutes ago, do you think this is happening to quite a few people considering it’s happened to us at the same time?

Yeah, currently experiencing the same thing

Suggested posts