Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Smart Shuffle keeps turning itself on

Hey folks!

Some of you have reported that Smart Shuffle is automatically turning itself on again after being switched off. This is now being looked into.

Note: The smart shuffle feature works on a playlist-by-playlist basis. If you turn it off on one playlist, it doesn't mean that it is turned off for all playlists.

We'll keep you posted 🙂

Under investigation.

In order for us to have a better look into this, please provide us with the following details:

• Your device + its OS version;
  • Your Spotify app version;
  • A screen recording of the issue;
  • Does this happen across devices or on a single device? E.g. if turned off on one device, does it re-appear on the same device, a different one or across all of them?
  • Does this happen when using the Connect feature or when playing normally?
  • What are the steps to reproduce the issue on your end?

Many thanks! We'll keep you posted 🙂

Comments
UnknownDancer

@Joan 

Hi there, I seem to be having the exact same problem as most people on my laptop, and it happens when I switch windows or when my computer goes into rest mode. Here is a video link to give you a visual of what is happening. https://youtu.be/LzrrttclOsk

lwheel7

This is happening to me! And I feel the same way. I have used the smart shuffle feature at times... then soon started to realize it is always suggesting the SAME songs! "Paid promotions and getting certain music in my face" makes so much sense now. So, I prefer to keep my playlist on regular shuffle, but EVERYTIME spotify turns smart shuffle right back on. But even when left on regular shuffle, when I have a 35+ hour playlist, the same songs are always playing... "Paid promotions and getting certain music in my face"... my end of the year recaps don't ever reflect the things I actually like. My number 1 song last year was a song I would always skip. UGH!

px77

Plan

Premium

Country

US

Device

Macbook Pro

Operating System

My Question or Issue

When I turn off Smart Shuffle the existing Smart Shuffle songs are removed from the queue, but new ones are added, even when the icon shows regular shuffle, not Smart Shuffle. I would prefer to turn off Smart Shuffle on a global level, but I can't even do it on the playlist level.

Screenshot 2024-07-15 at 10.12.21 AM.png
Ivelina

Hey there @px77,

Thanks for posting this thread and for the screenshot!

Even after you've disabled Smart Shuffle and just with regular Shuffle on you see songs being added to your playlist(s) and the queue, correct? Do they still have the Smart Shuffle symbol next to them as shown in the screenshot? 

If that's the case then this can be caused by some corrupted cache on your Mac so if you haven't already, I recommend giving Spotify a clean reinstall with the steps here. A detailed reinstall can help resolve different performance issues.

Let us know if it makes any difference and we're here if anything else comes up in the meantime.

Cheers 🙂

px77

I did all of this, no change. It's still putting Smart Shuffle songs into my regular shuffle.

Yordan

Thanks for trying @px77!

Does this occur with a specific playlist or with all of your playlists? Note that the Shuffle button located next to the big green Play button is playlist-specific, meaning it's state will affect only that playlist. To change the shuffle state of what's currently playing, use the one in the Now Playing Bar instead.

Now Playing BarNow Playing Bar

It's also worth checking if disabling Smart Shuffle via another device (your phone, for example) or the Web Player would do the trick.

Hope this helps!

FenrirWolff
I launched Spotify today and have found Smart Shuffle enabled, while I do not use Smart Shuffle in any way because I deem it a useless feature as that is what Artist Radio is for as some songs that are roughly in the same category but different artists are in there as well. As such, as I tried to play music it would not load any songs or play from downloaded media (Saved), favorites or otherwise noted.
Eni

Hey there @FenrirWolff

Thanks for getting in touch about this here in the Community. 

Just to confirm, is this happening across devices or only on a specific one? Also, after you turned off the Smart Shuffle feature it kept happening?

If so, we suggest that you try logging out and then logging back in to your account twice in a row. It's also worth trying with a different internet connection to see if the same happens. 

If the aforementioned steps don't do the trick, it's well worth running a clean reinstall of the app to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble. 

Let us know how it goes. 

mjmaurer7

I'm having the same issue

Yordan

Hey @mjmaurer7,

Could you share the info requested in my previous reply so we can investigate further? A short screen recording which showcases the described behavior in action would also be greatly appreciated. That way, we can get a clear view of what's happening in the queue.

Cheers 🤘