Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Users on the free service are unable to download podcasts

We've received reports from free users who are unable to download podcast episodes. Tapping the download icon results in an exclamation mark, indicating that the attempt failed.

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We're happy to announce that this should now be fixed for everyone 😎 Just make sure you're running the latest version of Spotify.

If you're still having trouble, you can post a new thread in the relevant Help board here.

Cheers 🤘

Comments
yawnzzn

Just recently, I've noticed that my podcasts will not download. I've never had this problem before, and it's confusing to try to figure it out.

Whenever I try to download an episode from a podcast, instead of the green check mark it shows when it's downloaded, it shows me an exclamation mark.

I've reinstalled, which includes clean, the app numerous times, tried all solutions I could find but nothing still works.

swervin

Same, my podcasts won’t download either, except when I click download it shows the empty stop logo for a second, then defaults back to the download logo. I reinstalled the app and tried to download podcasts again, same deal. I somehow managed to get two episodes downloaded by pressing the three bars, then download. It would ask ‘do you want to remove download’. I pressed yes, then did those steps again for the same episode. Although that didn’t work every time. It’s just a tiny bit annoying, just a tiny bit. 

I’m on an iPhone 12 by the way, the app is updated completely. I used to not update my apps because it seems as if there aren’t any real updates to it. I’m probably wrong, but the message bug fixes and performance improvements is a-nnoying. Might go back to not updating apps for a while. Lo siento Spotify. 

cherrygromit

Plan

Free

Country

UK

Device

Samsung Galaxy S21+

Operating System

Android version 14 (and One UI version 6.1)

Spotify version

Podcast I'm having issues with

Three Bean Salad Patreon Feed

My Question or Issue

I have a Patreon subscription to the Three Bean Salad Patreon Feed podcast and have the Patreon account connected to my Spotify account. I have not had issues downloading before today.

Today I tried to download more episodes today on my Android device, an exclamation mark appeared.

I have now tried each of these. Between each step I attempted to download and had the same issue:

• Uninstalled and reinstalled the app
  • Performed a clean install (though no sign of the com.spotify.music folder)
  • Downloaded a different podcast - this worked successfully
  • Disconnected and reconnected my Patreon account from Spotify
  • Used a different Samsung phone - didn't work either
  • Used different wifi (extender vs normal)
  • Tried on my Windows laptop and the Download button did nothing on the Three Bean Salad Patreon Feed odcast, whereas it worked fine for another podcast
  • Turning audio/video downloads on & off - neither work

It seems to be specific to that podcast. 

archer99

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

USA

Device

(Google Pixel)

My Question or Issue

Multiple podcasts's episodes are refusing to download (occasionally, I can get specific podcast channels to download, but 80% of podcasts channels are not). This just started happening today. Try to download and it immediately goes to an exclamation point symbol.

I have tried clearing the cache, restarting the app, reinstalling the app, restarting the device, downloading on multiple wifis (of various strengths)

ePlam

I have the exact same problem, including the moment when downloads stopped working (in fact it was yesterday), the exclamation point and 80% podcasts not downloading. Really the same problem.

I have tried the exact same things as you and some more: I also tried on my wife's phone and on my laptop (with the app) but to no avail: the only podcast that I can download can be downloaded on any device, but the other podcasts won't download no matter the device.

CliftonSleigh

Whatever you do DO NOT chat with customer support. I've tried it twice and they were absolutely no help whatsoever. I'm not even sure if I was in contact with a real person or an AI chat bot, but whatever it was did nothing to resolve my issue.

I'm on a Samsung Android phone and everytime there's a problem I update or in some extreme cases do a re-install of the app and it usually works. This time it didn't. I guess I'll just have to miss some podcast episodes or get them from somewhere else.

Karol9991

I have the same problem until yesterday. Some podcasts are download, some no. Im waiting for the solutions too.

Karol9991

I have the same.

OscarDC

Hey everyone,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community and making us aware of this issue.

In order to look into this further with the relevant team, and in case you haven't sent it yet; let us know the following info:

- Did you perform a clean reinstall already?
- Your device info (make/model) and OS version of your device

- Exact Spotify version

Also, and if possible; could any of you record a short video where we can take a better look? You can attach it to your next response by using the Insert Video option in the post editor. You can also upload it to YouTube or Google Drive and share the link with us (make sure the video has the permissions for anyone to see it).

We'll be on the lookout.

Frozenblaze

Hello, I think I have a specific diagnosis for this problem.

I too have gotten the exclamation mark when trying to download podcasts from some channels starting yesterday.  I think it has to do with the fact that they are video podcasts.  I have Spotify on my phone set to download only the audio from video podcasts.  When that is on, the downloads for certain podcast channels fail.  When I disable that setting and allow it to also download the video for the podcasts, the downloads that previously failed will succeed.  That is what I have discovered.  I hope this gets fixed soon, because I don't want to fill my phone with large video downloads.

Phone: Samsung Galaxy A53

Android 14

Spotify version: 8.9.78.513

Affected podcasts:  The Ben Shapiro Show, Candace

The Michael Knowles Show downloads just fine for me.